[nfbwatlk] DSB Budget

Nfbnorthwest at aol.com Nfbnorthwest at aol.com
Sat Sep 4 21:01:19 UTC 2010

Do we have any other kind of funding that will take up the slack such as
federal or private funding?

Lisa Owen

In a message dated 9/4/2010 7:56:59 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
k7uij at panix.com writes:

Fellow  Washingtonians:

The budget crunch is coming. It looks like revenue may  not be as great as
some would like and Governor Gregoire has asked state  agencies to project
budget cuts up to ten percent. And she has stipulated that  taking a little
here and a little there from each agency program won't cut it;  agencies must
specify programs that would be eliminated.

DSB must  therefore submit such budget and program cut proposals. I have
LouOma's  proposals for program cuts but do not feel at liberty to distribute
these on  the list but will be happy to send them to those who need them.
I'll be out of  town for two weeks starting Tuesday so you may also ask any
member of the NFBW  Board of Directors to send you the proposals.

In essence, most programs  either do not have many state dollars (something
like $240,000 must be cut) or  if state dollars were cut, would result in
an inordinate loss of funds so  although DSB's basic VR program is in the
mix, it's dead last on the priority  list. Also, NFB Newsline® is not in danger
as it receives money from the
Business Enterprises Program. In fact, the whole BEP program is not in
danger; few state dollars go into it as it accrues most of its revenue from
vending machine income.

LouOma has *no* good options. Even eliminating  the OTC or other such
drastic steps wouldn't result in enough  savings.

The primary proposal is to cut a contract subsidizing the  Deaf-blind
Service Center in Seattle. That's an awful choice considering that  the DB
population has little political voice. But when we look at DSB's  overall mission,
it makes sense and would cut enough to fulfill Governor  Gregoire's
requirements.

Next-best would be to cut drastically  independent living funds for those
under 55 including what's left of the child  and family program. Older
persons would be affected also. I feel that while  (given the School for the
Blind) DSB could probably do away with any effort  for families with blind
children, it would not save much money in that the  program is, as I say, very
minimal now.

All in all, it is my personal  opinion that while it is extremely
regrettable and unfair and any other  adjectives one wants to use, LouOma has
probably made the correct Draconian  choice and that the Seattle Lighthouse and
perhaps fund-raising might be able  to take up some of the slack resulting from
DSB's contract  cancellation.

LouOma would welcome other proposals but we must remember  that they need
to cut at least $240,000 in state-only dollars and not result  in an
emasculation of the Federally-funded parts of DSB's efforts.

Mike  Freeman, President
NFB of  Washington
nfbwatlk  mailing  list
nfbwatlk at nfbnet.org