[nfbwatlk] Perkins Braillers

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Sep 15 02:59:52 UTC 2010

Mary Ellen:

I have a Braille Sense Plus and a computer. I also have two
Perkins Braillers, both of which need repairs. I do not own a Braille embosser.

I don't use the Perkins much as I find a refreshable Braille display quite satisfactory under most circumstances. However, were I still doing a great many math calculations (algebra, calculus, differential equations, page-long physics equations and the like), I would accept nothing else except a Perkins. Spatial display of math elements (or poetry, for that matter) just doesn't work with a refreshable Braille display and blind college students are handicapping themselves mightily if they try to do math or other natural sciences without use of a Perkins Brailler.

Mike