[nfbwatlk] a Reminder: USE YOUR TIME WISELY

Humberto Avila hum4avila_71 at fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 18 03:09:37 UTC 2010

this information is  especially for those who are in college or working:

Good time management is essential for achieving a healthy lifestyle that
includes plenty of rest and exercise while allowing for productivity and
success on the job and at school. Without time-management skills, it is
difficult to reach many goals in life. Identifying priorities will help with
time allocation. Developing good nutritional habits and getting enough
exercise provide benefits that will last for, and even prolong, your
lifetime.

Time management is a valuable life skill that will allow you to get the most
out of each day. We all have many things we need and want to accomplish.
Some goals can be achieved quickly, while others take months and even years.
Whether you want to learn a foreign language, get promoted in your job, or
just clean out your closet, without good time-management skills, you might
not make it happen! Wise time management helps you make daily or at least
weekly progress toward your goals.

Start by keeping a diary of how you spend your time. You might be surprised
at where it goes! Once you see how you spend your time, you can make
adjustments that will help you reach your goals. Putting a limit on the time
you are willing to spend on any one task might force you to be more focused
and efficient and therefore complete it more quickly. You will find that
some activities are more flexible from a scheduling standpoint, while others
are not. For instance, if you work a traditional 8 AM-5 PM day and want to
further your education, you may have to limit yourself to one evening class
each quarter.

You may begin to see creative ways to "multitask," or get more than one
thing done at the same time. Time management means making a conscious
decision to fit certain things into your routine and figuring out how you
will accomplish that routine. Even something as basic as your method of
transportation can impact how you organize your time. Riding the bus to work
or to school might provide a few extra minutes for studying or reading.
However, driving your own car allows you greater flexibility and might get
you to and from your destination more quickly.

Living a Balanced Life

Different factors of our lives may take more dominant roles at times. In the
teenage years, a person's primary focus is usually on completing his or her
education. As you progress into early adulthood, you may pour most of your
energy into building a successful career. Many people think of their
retirement years as a time to pursue hobbies and travel more freely. But
just as a diet of only meat or fruit would cause you to be deficient in
certain

Main Idea

Knowing how much time you have and planning how you spend it will help you
achieve your goals. Good time management will help you do your best at work
and at school. A healthy lifestyle, including good eating habits and enough
exercise, has both long-term and short-term health benefits. A balanced
lifestyle will pay off by increasing your productivity, elevating your mood,
and minimizing your stress.

vitamins and minerals, a life of all work and no relaxation can compromise
your health in other ways.

People need a sense of purpose; we need to feel useful and productive. Our
jobs and our schooling challenge and stimulate our minds. We also - need to
allow ourselves mental rest and refreshment, whether that comes through
playing a sport, being active at church or volunteering, reading a
spell-binding mystery, or attending a concert. However, if we do not plan
for these different activities, we may find our time is gone and we have
nothing to show for it. Good time management means that you can include a
variety of activities that will make your life more interesting and
productive. You are able to accomplish the things that are necessary, such
as earning a living and also pursuing goals that are important to you.

Getting Enough Sleep and Relaxation

It may seem like there are not enough hours in a day to accomplish all that
we need to do or want to do. Often what is sacrificed is sleep. "If I stay
up until 2 AM, I can finish that report that my boss needs tomorrow
morning." Staying up can't hurt...can it? But being deprived of sufficient
sleep over a period of time can lead to the following:

. Increased chance for a motor vehicle accident

. Inability to pay attention and retain information

. Increased risk for diabetes, heart trouble, or depression

. Slower reaction time

In addition to actual sleep, we need physical and mental relaxation     ^^
time to refresh both body and mind. Developing hobbies we enjoy is a good
form of relaxation. Spending time doing things we love makes us feel good,
and we can return to our jobs with greater enthusiasm.

Time Management and Stress

Everyone deals with stress in their lives at one time or another. Have you
ever had a stomachache when you were really upset or in a hurry? Ever had
trouble sleeping? Stress can raise your blood pressure to an unhealthy
level, interfere with your digestion, or give you insomnia. Studies have
shown that over time, stress will suppress your ability to fight off colds
and infections.

Poor time management is one cause of stress. Planning ahead to avoid running
out of time will help you avoid the stress caused by being too busy. If you
are balancing school and a job, you need to be careful to allow time for
productive studying. If you plan to study at the end of the day, you may be
too tired to retain much information.

Finally, maintaining a balanced life will allow you to pursue those leisure
activities that help relieve stress.

Getting Enough Exercise

Our society is more technologically advanced than ever before.
Computers allow us in many cases to perform our jobs, communicate with our
friends, and learn what is going on in the world without even leaving our
desks. As a result, we have become a sedentary society. Instead of having
sore muscles from working, we have eye strain and shoulder pain from sitting
for long periods of time at our keyboards. How can we combat this lack of
physical activity?

 Here is where time management comes into play. If physical activity is not
necessary for your job, you need to find creative ways to add it to your
routine. Use your lunch hour to take a walk through the city or go to the
gym to work out. Most schools have a recreation center available for
students' use. If you have an extra hour between two of your classes, set
aside that time for exercise a couple of times a week.

Studies have shown that regular exercise helps people cope with stress and
also increases their productivity. Thirty minutes of exercise each day is a
good goal to set. Or, you can purchase a treadmill or some weights and
exercise at home whenever you have a few free minutes.

Nutrition and Good Eating Habits

You have probably heard the expression, "An apple a day keeps the doctor
away." Eating a healthy and balanced diet does boost your immunity and does
lessen your chances of getting certain diseases. If you are practicing good
time management skills, you will be able to cook healthy meals for yourself
for at least part of the week and will not need to rely on the convenience
of "fast food" (which is often high in calories and fat). If you know the
different food groups and how many servings from each group make a balanced
diet, you will be able to make wise choices while grocery shopping and even
when eating out.

Investing Your Time and Lifestyle Decisions

Most people think of investing as it relates to money. Investing in stock
means buying it with the hope that it will increase in value and be sold
later for a profit. But the things you have read about are ways to invest
your time that will add value to your life, both now and in the future.
Spending the time to complete your education will qualify you for better
jobs. Following an exercise program and developing good eating habits will
save time and money at the doctor's office.

Are you going to work hard to achieve your goals? Can you find a job that
allows you to work towards a college degree part-time? Are you going to
follow a nutritious diet balanced with frequent exercise? Will you find a
hobby that you can pursue for enjoyment and stress relief? These are
lifestyle decisions that can only be accomplished with good time management.

The Economics of Healthy Living

You have already read about some of the economic benefits of healthy living.
Better health means less time spent sick, missing work or school and
possibly losing pay. Better health also means less time and money spent on
doctors' bills. It is easier to purchase life insurance if you are healthy
because you are a lower risk than a person who, for instance, is a smoker or
is overweight. Cutting down on your sugar intake may mean less expensive
trips to the dentist.

Good nutrition is often cheaper as well. Some of the best bargains at the
grocery store are in the fruits and vegetables section. Compare that with
the cost of fast food, which is often nutritionally lacking and high in
calories and fat.

Good time management can help you achieve a healthy lifestyle that includes
plenty of rest and exercise while allowing you to be productive in your job
or at school. Time-management skills are essential if you want to reach your
goals in life. Setting priorities will help you allocate time for the most
important things in your life. Developing good nutritional habits will
provide benefits that will last for, and even prolong, your lifetime.