[nfbwatlk] FW: [Youth-outreach] How Blind Youth Can Confidently Introduce Themselves To Strangers In Any Social Situation

Denise Mackenstadt dmackenstadt at comcast.net
Sun Dec 11 18:02:16 UTC 2011

I would like to reply to your comment.  I agree that parents should be the first stop to work with any child on social skills.  The problem is that parents of blind kids are many times lost as to how social interaction is impacted by blindness.  This may be a misperception on their part.  Many times it takes us as the experts on blindness, blind people ourselves, who can tell parents that yes they can help their children in these areas.  The reality is that many times sighted people think they cannot relate.  As blind people we can have a huge impact on letting blind youth and their families know that being competent in a variety of social situations is not rocket science but common sense.  The field of education of the blind has put forward a mindset that social skills can only be taught by the "professional experts".  Again, parents and students are not given the common sense belief that they can raise their blind kids as they have raised their other children.  So, yes, parents should be teaching these skills.  I believe that our role as blind people is to help parents and youth to believe in their own common sense.