[nfbwatlk] FW: [Youth-outreach] Three Ways to Transform Ideas into ImpactfulChange

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Dec 31 14:27:56 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: youth-outreach-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:youth-outreach-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of John Bailey
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2011 6:21 PM
To: Youth outreach projects Support List
Subject: [Youth-outreach] Three Ways to Transform Ideas into ImpactfulChange

A few years ago, I had a great idea for my local National Federation of the
Blind of Virginia chapter as to how we could raise the thousands of dollars
we needed to continue our good work.  After doing a lot of research and
collecting the relevant facts, I decided it was time to present my idea to
the group.  If I do say so, it was brilliant and I patted myself on my back
for having come up with it.

After giving a well thought out presentation about my great idea, I waited
for the praise and ready acceptance of my initiative. I was greatly
disappointed. You would have thought I had suggested ransoming cuddly
kittens as a fund raiser for the acceptance it got. I was crushed. However,
I learned a great lesson that I use today. The steps I will outline below
for turning good ideas into winning ones can be used by anyone who wants to
overcome the obstacle of getting his ideas across in any organization
successfully.

Step 1:  Recognize what changes would come from your new idea. Reluctance to
change is a natural emotional response to new ideas. You have to make the
fear associated with change as painless as possible. Doing things the same
way is known and therefore safe. Altering how we do things involves the
unknown and is risky. Most people are risk adverse. That is, unless there is
overwhelming good that can be achieved by making those changes.

Identify what changes would occur if your ideas were implemented and be
prepared to discuss the overwhelming good that would occur from taking
action.

Step 2:  Identify the opinion leaders in your organization, and cultivate
them as idea allies. Each organization has one or more individuals in its
group who seem to have more than their share of influence in determining the
direction of the organization. Their power may come from the formal
structure of the organization, such as them holding an elected office.
Their influence may arise from a non-formal position they have, such as the
eldest or most knowledgeable member.

Recognize who these people are and get them to buy-in to your idea.  It is
much more productive to influence a few opinion leaders to your point of
view over time than it is to try to change the minds of an entire room of
people in just a few minutes of speaking.

Step 3:  Continue pushing your ideas even if they are rejected. If your idea
has merit, then there is no reason that today’s rejection can’t turn into
tomorrow’s acceptance.  Again, people are reluctant to change.  Giving them
time to absorb your ideas also gives them time to overcome their knee-jerk
emotion-based reasons for saying "No," and replacing them with the more
rational thinking that will lead them to “Yes.”

Good Ideas do not become great ones overnight. Introducing someone or an
entire organization to a new way of thinking involves changes, and people
emotionally reject change.  That is, unless or until they see the benefits
of the change, and this may take time.  Get the opinion leaders on your
side, and you will be as prepared as you can to turn a good idea into a
winning one.  And, don’t give up!

John Bailey is NFBV State Membership Chair and assists local chapters reach
their growth goals by teaching simple techniques for energizing current
chapters as well as developing potential membership. If you would like John
to speak at your local chapter, give him a call at 703.994.2040 or email him
at John_Bailey17 at hotmail.com to set up a date.