[nfbwatlk] FW: Community Transit Public Hearing July 7th--your attendance is needed

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 29 17:24:57 UTC 2011

Dear Livable Snohomish County Coalition,

Did you know that Community Transit is facing another 20 percent budget
shortfall!  That's one-in-five service hours.  Last year, they had a 15
percent budget shortfall and had to eliminate some routes and Sunday
service.  There certainly will be more cuts but how they cut will be
important.  These cuts are happening because the main source of revenue is
sales tax, and as we all know, sales tax revenue is down due to the economy.

Right now I am working along with others at Futurewise, Pilchuck Audubon
Society and Transportation Choices Coalition to convince the Community
Transit Board to save as many buses as possible that will serve the most
number of people.  By prioritizing high-ridership corridors, we can reduce
the number of tragic stories of folks who will be severely impacted by these
service cuts.

The ONLY PUBLIC HEARING on these proposed cuts if on Thursday, July 7th from
5 to 8:30 p.m. At the Rose Hill Community Center, 304 Lincoln Avenue in
Mukilteo.  WE ABSOLUTELY NEED EVERY PERSON WHO CAN ATTEND TO COME AND PUSH
FOR SAVING SERVICE FOR THE MOST RIDERS.

This is important!!  These cuts will affect many people who depend on buses
to get to work, the doctor, school and other services.  For example, we've
heard many personal stories about senior citizens who need dialysis who will
no longer be able to make it to the hospital.  We need to make sure we
provide affordable and adequate service for the most number of people as
possible.

Please let me know if you can attend the hearing and if you will testify
along with me for protecting service for the most number of people.

If you can't make the hearing, you can send an email with your message to
the Community Transit Board at riders at commtrans.org.

Thanks so much for helping with this very important issue.

Kristin Kelly
Snohomish County/Skagit County Program Director, Futurewise
Smart Growth Director, Pilchuck Audubon Society
----------------------
email: kristin at futurewise.org
web:    www.futurewise.org
--------------------------
1429 Avenue D, PMB 532
Snohomish, WA  98290
p 425-923-8625
Celebrating 20 years of protecting Washington's future.
Our mission at Futurewise is to promote healthy communities
and cities while protecting farmland, forests, and shorelines
for this and future generations.

------ End of Forwarded Message

  _____

.