[nfbwatlk] Oregon looks to iPad to make voting easier for thosewith disabilities, The Oregonian, November 7 2011

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sat Nov 12 00:02:39 UTC 2011

I think what we're experiencing is a shift in the tools we use as
independent blind people. Earlier, readers and scribes were quite
necessary for us to be independent. Now, technology has come so far
that many of these things can be done without sighted help. I think the
consensus among my contemporaries and me is that, while readers should
always be considered a viable option, there is no good reason why we
shouldn't utilize our technologies to the fullest extent possible so as
to provide another option for people who can't use a reader or who
don't want to.

Perhaps I'm wrong Mike. But I wonder if your preference for a scribe is
partly due to the foreign nature of the literal independence we're
experiencing as a result of technology. If that's so, I could see why.
For me, it's more of a bother to use a reader sometimes and so would
much rather find a technological solution to my problem if one might
possibly exist. And if not or if the technological solution is too much
of a bother, bring on the readers! But for me, this literal
independence is just part of my lifestyle. I need a sighted person to
help me with less and less these days. I suspect the next generation of
blind people will probably be able to do their grocery shopping at a
market completely without sighted assistance. In a sense, that's
already doable if you consider online markets.

Respectfully,
Jedi