[nfbwatlk] FW: U.S. Representatives Stearns and Bishop Introduce Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Oct 5 03:22:17 UTC 2011

From: Freeh, Jessica [mailto:JFreeh at nfb.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 1:37 PM
To: Undisclosed recipients:
Subject: U.S. Representatives Stearns and Bishop Introduce Fair Wages for
Workers with Disabilities Act

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

 <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org> cdanielsen at nfb.org

U.S. Representatives Stearns and Bishop Introduce
Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act

National Federation of the Blind Commends Action

Washington, D.C. (October 4, 2011): Congressman Cliff Stearns (R-FL) and
Congressman Tim Bishop (D-NY) today introduced the Fair Wages for Workers
with Disabilities Act of 2011 (H.R. 3086).  The bill would phase out Section
14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), which allows employers holding
special wage certificates to pay their workers with disabilities less than
the federal minimum wage.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"The Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act is a long-overdue effort
to correct an injustice written into a law meant to protect all American
workers from abuse and exploitation.  Workers with disabilities were
excluded from the protections of the Fair Labor Standards Act because of the
false belief that we cannot be as productive as Americans without
disabilities.  Courage and creativity are required to replace the misguided
benevolence that has historically shaped policies toward people with
disabilities with real opportunity for our equal employment and full
participation in the workplace.  We applaud Representatives Stearns and
Bishop and we hope that a significant majority of their colleagues possess
the courage and creativity to end over seventy years of exploitation of
people with disabilities."

"Simple fairness and decency require that workers with disabilities receive
equal pay for equal work," said Congressman Stearns.  "I am asking all of my
colleagues to join me in this historic effort to end wage discrimination
against workers with disabilities once and for all."

"Ensuring that Americans with disabilities receive equal pay for equal work
is more than a matter of basic fairness, it's a long-overdue acknowledgement
of the value disabled Americans contribute to our workplaces every day,"
said Congressman Tim Bishop.  "I hope all of my colleagues will support this
bipartisan effort to correct over seventy years of injustice."

For more information about the Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act
and the National Federation of the Blind, please visit www.nfb.org
<http://www.nfb.org/> .

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.