[nfbwatlk] FW: National Disability Employment AwarenessMonth Statistics

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Wed Oct 12 16:39:24 UTC 2011

I noticed the same odd statistic, Ben.  Everyone occasionally says or writes
things that are hysterically funny because of the misuse of language.
Remembering some of my linguistic errors still makes me blush.  When I was a
rehabilitation teacher working with older clients, one recently widowed and
recently blind man was attempting to hire a housekeeper, but he kept firing
them.  He had been totally dependent on his wife.  I commented in a case
report that he fired the housekeepers because he expected them to do
everything for them that his wife used to do.  Oops!  My supervisor called
me into her office and had a very good laugh about what I'd written.

"Do you realize what you just said?" She could hardly ask the question
between guffaws.

I stood in front of her, blushing crimson, and thought for a few minutes.
Then I said, "I didn't mean to say what I did, but, however inadvertently, I
spoke the truth."  She left the room.  Somewhere in a dusty archive, that
unedited case file remains.