[nfbwatlk] WCBS 880 New York Just After First Tower Was Hit

Albert Sanchez albertsanchez at suddenlink.net
Tue Sep 13 07:25:01 UTC 2011

I was in a home servicing the piano. Having finished tuning I was putting
the front piece back on this upright when WHAM!!! The house shook and things
began falling off the mantle. The people of the house turned on TV and I
could hear talking about the towers. They then told me that from their front
window they could see smoke pouring out of the Pentagon. I tried to call for
a cab since I had finished my job only to be told that it would be approx 4
hours before they could pick me up. We watched TV for a while more then they
offered to drive me to the Metro station at Pentagon City so I could try to
get home from their. When we got to the metro you could hear fire truck
sirens and smella very powerful scent of smoke. I took the metro to Roslyn
stop planning to get a city bus from that station home--not a bus to be
found--they had all been diverted to the evacuation of the Pentagon. I tried
to make calls on cellphone but, as others were finding out, the system was
so overloaded that nothing got through. So, here I am, standing with my tool
kit at my feet and cane in my right hand when a car stopped in front of me
and a lady got out and introduced herself to me saying "Sir, you tuned our
piano several weeks ago--can I take you anywhere? You can imagine my
response! She then proceeded, with my directions, to drive me home. She got
her next tuning free! A.S.