[nfbwatlk] STATE INDEPENDENT LIVING COUNCIL IS RECRUITING NEW MEMBERS

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Wed Aug 1 15:24:58 UTC 2012

From: Olson, Toby (ESD) [mailto:TOlson2 at ESD.WA.GOV]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:23 AM
To: GCDE-INFO at LISTSERV.WA.GOV
Subject: FW: STATE INDEPENDENT LIVING COUNCIL IS RECRUITING NEW MEMBERS

From: DEBORAH E. COOK [mailto:debcook at u.washington.edu]
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 9:56 AM
To: Olson, Toby (ESD)

Please share with anyone who might be interested:

WASHINGTON

State Independent Living Council

P.O. Box 45343

Olympia, WA 98504

1-800-624-4105

www.wasilc.org<http://www.wasilc.org>

MEMBERSHIP RECRUITMENT
The Washington State Independent Living Council (WA SILC) is seeking applicants to fill 5 vacancies beginning October 1, 2012.
WHAT IS WA SILC?
The Washington State Independent Living Council (WA SILC) is an 11 member council appointed by the Governor. Terms are up to 3 years with a maximum of 2 terms.
WHAT DO WE DO?
The primary purpose of WA SILC, together with the Washington Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) and the Washington Department of Services for the Blind (DSB), is to jointly develop and sign the State's Plan for Independent Living (SPIL). Additionally, we monitor, review, and evaluate the implementation of the SPIL.
The WA SILC works with our Centers for Independent Living (CIL's) concerning different issues that affect citizens of Washington with significant disabilities. We also coordinate activities with other state councils and share information about issues that affect Washingtonians with disabilities.
The WA SILC meets four times a year and also conducts public forums at various locations throughout the state. All meetings and forums are open to the public.
Finally, we provide periodic reports to the public and Federal government that describe the activities of the WA SILC.
WHO ARE WE?
We believe and support the independent living philosophy of consumer control, peer support, self-help, self-determination, equal access, and individual and system advocacy in order to maximize the leadership, empowerment, independence, and productivity of individuals with disabilities and the integration and full inclusion of people with disabilities in the mainstream of American society.
HOW TO APPLY FOR MEMBERSHIP?
The WA SILC tries to ensure statewide representation of members who represent a broad range of individuals with disabilities from diverse backgrounds. 51% of our membership must be people with disabilities. Our membership consists of representatives from the State Independent Living Centers, people living with disabilities, advocates, parents of children with disabilities, community service providers, and the state and tribal Vocational Rehabilitation programs.
We hope you will consider applying for membership on the WA SILC if you have the demonstrated ability and experience to work on the WA SILC responsibilities described above, are committed to the values and mission of Independent Living, and are knowledgeable and experienced regarding legislative and policy processes.
To apply, you must submit an online application to the Governor's office at: http://www.governor.wa.gov/boards/application/default.asp
If you need assistance or have questions, please email Debbie Cook: debcook at u.washington.edu<mailto:debcook at u.washington.edu>.  You may also call 800-624-4105 (voice) or 1-866-866-0162 (TTY).
The WA SILC was established under the authority of Title VII Section 705 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended, (P.L. 102-569), and WA State Executive Order 93-04 as superseded by Executive Order 04-05.