[nfbwatlk] Article regarding NY streets

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 00:56:15 UTC 2012

Hey Mary Ellen, good points.  In Walla Walla they have those
kinds of APS where you have to press the button a little longer
in order to get that information.  YEARS ago when I was working
with an instructor from Seeing Eye he timed the light cycle at
some intersections to see if it made any difference whether the
walk signal was pushed or not.  In some cases it did make a
difference, giving pedestrians a few more seconds to cross than
not pushing it.  In some cases it didn't make any difference at
all.  Go figure.

It would be kind of boring to have an environment that was always
the same.  I used to walk a lot more than I do now, and I loved
the "various sounds and smells and textures around me.

Thanks for explaining the modified NFB philosophy.  I'm "the new
kid on the block" at the moment and have only heard what others
THINK NFB says on a number of issues.

Some good news for me, I found out today that our Department of
Services for the Blind will pay for me to go to the Colorado
Center and I'm thrilled!  I definitely need to work on my
mobility skills, computer and other stuff.  In a way I hope I
don't leave until at least September.  There are some family
things going on (nothing bad) just anniversaries, etc.  that I'd
like to be have for.  Plus it will give me a little more time to
get some things done that I want to get done before I go.  But if
they say I need to come in two weeks, then I'LL be there.
(Grin).

Well, I need to get going, my stomach is saying it's hungry and I
can guarantee at this moment that it's not head hunger.  (Grin).
Take care,    Debby