[nfbwatlk] SUB MINIMUM WAGE

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 03:22:59 UTC 2012

Well, I agree with both Mary Ellen and Mike, except that I do
believe that there is a dignity in working.  There's something to
be said for getting paid for what you do.  Every time I got my
check when I worked at IRS (even though I didn't really like my
job) there was something great about that feeling.  We all got
the same wage (depending on our step and grade, but performance
awards did come (though never monetarily).  So there are ways of
rewarding more productive workers, and still paying everyone a
minimum wage.  I don't believe that paying a minimum wage
"subsidizes" anyone.  As Mike said, productivity does vary from
employee to employee.  I think my average call count when I was
at IRS was 85 calls per day, and I'm sure there were people who
did more, especially when I first started working with refunds.
Peace,    Debby