[nfbwatlk] SUB MINIMUM WAGE

Frye, Daniel Daniel.Frye at ed.gov
Mon Aug 13 15:37:01 UTC 2012

Here, here-my friend.

Dan

From: Carl Jarvis [mailto:carjar82 at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 11:06 AM
To: Frye, Daniel; NFB of Washington Talk Mailing List
Cc: alewis at nfb.org; Feder, Emily
Subject: Re: [nfbwatlk] SUB MINIMUM WAGE

Dan,
Well stated.  Of course it speaks to human nature not just to us blind people.
We are quick to cry out when our own rights are trampled, and we can expand our outrage to include those of our own immediate circle, but we become indifferent and insensitive when others are treated in the same manner.
I am reminded of the words of pastor Martin Niemöller:
First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

If each of us fails to stand up and defend the human dignity of all people, who will stand up for us when the heavy boot of discrimination is on our own neck?

Are we really so shallow that we place productivity ahead of human dignity?  Why does a person have to produce so many widgets an hour in order to deserve a basic living standard?
What is it in our nature that allows us to see the cold, harsh discrimination placed upon us blind people, and then turn about and do exactly the same to others who we have lumped into a category called, "The Less Fortunate".
Do we no longer believe that a government of the people should care for all of its people?  When did we turn on our own people and hitch our wagon to the coat tails of the wealthy, pretending that we might one day be like them?
Are we honestly willing to abandon our brothers and sisters in the hope that we will receive a pat on the head by the Master?
Pretending that we are better than some of our own members is not going to change how the public sees us as blind people.  The very brightest and most accomplished of us are measured by the same Universal Blind Stereotype as is the most unaccomplished, unskilled member of our blind community.  It makes no difference to the World if I am the most remarkable blind man or a blind man burdened by multiple disabilities.  Blind trumps all in the minds of the general population.
If we cut loose from some of our members, it will not put us in a more favorable light in the eye of the public, it will simply make us fewer in number.
And how dare we proclaim our right to defend our equal status in the world, when we can't defend our own brothers and sisters?  What lesson are we passing along to future blind people?  Are we saying, "You must be blind by our standards if you are to have our support"?
If, by demanding a decent standard of living for our members working in work shops means that some of those programs shut their doors and lay off their underpaid "workers", is that reason enough to fight to keep the programs open?  To allow them to continue to oppress our brothers and sisters?  For what purpose?  At what price?
Would it not be better to fight for funding for the underpaid folks and provide them an environment where they can participate at whatever level they are able, and rejoice in their achievements.

Carl Jarvis