[nfbwatlk] SUB MINIMUM WAGE

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Tue Aug 14 21:43:14 UTC 2012

If someone really cannot work competitively, and the reason is really that
they cannot work, not that nobody will hire them, what's the point in
keeping them in fake work environments?  Isn't there a lot they could do
with their lives that would be more meaningful?  If we as a society do
decide that work has value as a means for people to spend their time, then
shouldn't we treat them like workers and pay them at a basic minimum level?
After all, we pay the supervisors who run the shops that are essentially day
cares for adults with severe intellectual disabilities.

Sheltered workshops were started in an era when a lot of adults worked in
factories.  Now most people do not work in direct manufacturing.  Couldn't
we become a little more creative about the way we serve people with severe
intellectual disabilities?  If they can't really work, let's stop pretending
and do something that really does serve them instead of serving a 19th
century employment model.