[nfbwatlk] successful Seattle Goodwill protest

Mon Aug 27 13:58:20 UTC 2012

Hi Listers,

Just got to my computer so here's my two cents, not paid BTW by Goodwill. Marci deserves the lion's share of thanks for this successful protest. She organized things, announcing the event, picking the location, assembling and bringing the signs, helping to spot and talk with some Goodwill employees who came out at the beginning, and generally  keeping us all in line. (grin)  (Raymond also deserves thanks for assembling and transporting.)   There certainly was a lot of spirit, and as she has said, we definitely made an impression and our point.  The weather was great, (don't know how you did that Marci), and the brunch afterwards at a local restaurant was excellent. We certainly will keep fighting, and soon we will be able to say that the wages for disabled workers are as fair as the weather was on Saturday.

Thanks again to all, and to Marci in particular.

/s/

Bennett Prows.

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of mjc59 at q.com
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2012 12:13 PM
To: NFB of Washington Talk Mailing List
Subject: [nfbwatlk] successful Seattle Goodwill protest

Good afternoon ,

Let me say a heart-felt "Thank You" to Cindy, Mike F., Connie, Mary V., Ivan, Bennett and Jacob for helping to make our local Goodwill protest a success! We may not have had the largest protest in the country, but our spirit was immense! Many cars started to pull up in front of the store, but drove away upon seeing our signs. We got many "honks" and waves from passersby and passed out our flyers. While we did not get press coverage yesterday, I made some good contacts that should serve us well in the future.

There were 4 different slogans on the great signs provided by our National Center. Here is what they said;

"We Need Good Jobs Not  Goodwill"

"Pennies Per Hour is Not a Job"

"They Won't Pay Minimum Wage"

"CEO Salary $500,000  Worker Pay 20 cents"

Several members asked me if the text of the flyer was available online. It is available in both Word 2007 (.docx) and PDF format at www.nfb.org/fair-wages . Feel free to download it and distribute widely.

I enjoyed spending time on the picket line and at lunch with both veterans and those who were new to an NFB protest. Connie took some pictures of us which I hope to have posted soon on our NFBW facebook page and group.

We definitely felt the camaraderie with all of our colleagues around the country and all who sent us encouraging thoughts and words.

We will keep up the fight until the despicable practice of paying disabled workers sub minimum wages is ended!

See you all at future NFB gatherings.

Marci Carpenter