[nfbwatlk] FW: NFB stand on Blind Child Area signs?

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Wed Aug 29 15:56:59 UTC 2012

I can think of only a very few cases where such a sign would give some help.
If the child was blind and impalsive, autistic, but just for a blind kid,
just as stupid as the handicapped sign just up from my driveway and just
down from it.  The reason doesn't exist any longer, but it does identify our
home.  Before I met my husband he was hit twice on the road in front of our
home just trying to retrieve the mail.  The second time his guide dog who
was just on leash was nocked into the ditch by him as he let the car hit
him. Other then bruising on his hip and a cut on his leg my husband was
fine.  His dog though had to go to the vet for stitches. Solution we got
permission and moved the mailbox on our side of the road.  It was the
chicken that crossed the road.   , buck, buck, buck buck buck, lol.

Talk about eye pollution, these signs sure are. There is one in Bremmerton
on Marine view drive that has been there for thirty years. If we know these
are around, we can find out if it is on a city or county road and send a
letter of complaint, I suppose.  It should not be hard to get rid of eye
pollution.

Another problem we have is the schools not paying for proper O and M.  I am
on an O and M list, and these precious professionals have to fight like mad
to get one day a week of mobility training.  You know that isn't enough.
Schools have taken away canes etc. So we have to open up our NFB type
centers for these kids to learn and feel proud they can go anywhere within
reason independently. We need scollarships for these kids to get the
intensive training.  Bring the parents with the kid so they can offer tips
to the child, praise the kid for moving about and exploreing his her world.

Becky Frankeberger
Butterfly Knitting

Custom-made knit throws, shawls, and more!

Phone: 360-426-8389
E-mail: becky at ButterflyKnitting.com
Website: www.ButterflyKnitting.com