[nfbwatlk] FW: WTBBL Reading Matters Newsletter Fall 2012

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Dec 18 01:50:26 UTC 2012

From: WTBBL [mailto:wtbbl at list.statelib.wa.gov]
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 1:16 PM
To: MICHAEL FREEMAN
Subject: [wtbbl] WTBBL Reading Matters Newsletter Fall 2012

READING MATTERS

Fall 2012

David Junius, Editor

********

A Message from the Director by Danielle Miller

Happy holidays and wishes for a safe and warm winter. As seems to always be
the case, there has been a lot happening at your Talking Book & Braille
Library.

We have launched an outreach campaign with newly designed brochures,
bookmarks and posters that we want to share across the state. You are our
greatest advocates and have opportunities to reach people and organizations
that we may not. Think about having us mail you some of our new materials
and sharing WTBBL with your community. I believe when we work together, we
can impact the greatest number of people.

Many of you will notice you received this issue of Reading Matters in the
mail in large print. Our newsletter is to help you stay connected and get
you information about your service. If you read the newsletter online or via
email, please let us know and we will not send you further print issues
(this will reduce our costs). If you aren't able to access Reading Matters
online, but the print format doesn't work for you, please let us know and we
can work with you to find a solution. Any comments or changes to how you
receive Reading Matters can be emailed to  <mailto:wtbbl at sos.wa.gov>
wtbbl at sos.wa.gov or by calling the library.

I was once again very happy to attend the annual conventions of both the
Washington Council of the Blind and National Federation of the Blind of
Washington. The conventions are a great time to share, learn and see patrons
in person. At both conventions I talked about the importance of voting, and
now we welcome Secretary of State-elect Kim Wyman. She is supportive of
WTBBL and we look forward to working with her.

Finally, I wish to thank outgoing Secretary of State Sam Reed for his
incredible support and participation since WTBBL joined his agency in 2008.
The WTBBL staff and I wish him all the best in his well-deserved retirement.

You can contact me at (206) 615-1588 or  <mailto:danielle.miller at sos.wa.gov>
danielle.miller at sos.wa.gov.

I look forward to hearing from you.

********

Why WTBBL Matters to Me by Secretary of State Sam Reed

As I near retirement as Washington's Secretary of State, I'm especially
proud of the Washington Talking Book & Braille Library, which joined the
Washington State Library and our office in 2008 after a five-year transition
period from the Seattle Public Library.

WTBBL is literally a one-of-its-kind resource in Washington. Since its
creation, it has provided many essential services to our state's blind and
visually impaired community. Since that 2008 merger, WTBBL has continued to
offer outstanding service to its thousands of patrons throughout Washington.
It truly stands out in the state's library community.

When I first toured the Washington Talking Book & Braille Library years ago,
two things stood out to me. First, the enormous number of plastic cases used
to ship audio books to patrons. But even more notable, the commitment and
sense of purpose displayed by WTBBL staff and volunteers. Their service and
dedication to the library's patrons is inspiring. Program Manager Danielle
Miller and her staff and volunteers deserve so much praise for their hard
work.

During the 2010 legislative session in Olympia, WTBBL helped arrange and
staff a traveling display highlighting Louis Braille and his revolutionary
reading system that made it possible for blind and visually impaired people
to enjoy literature. I was moved by the display, and pleased that many
legislators, staffers and Capitol visitors viewed the exhibit.

I'm proud of the can-do attitude and strong loyalty that are shown by the
staffers and volunteers at both the State Library and WTBBL. I know that
times have been tough in recent years, but the public still has a right to
expect good service, and I'm proud that both libraries have delivered.

WTBBL's patrons should be proud, too.

********

10 Reasons to Call WTBBL by Alan Bentson

WTBBL is not like most libraries. Many of our patrons are unable to visit
us, so we provide much of our service over the phone, and through email and
the U.S. mail. We don't always get to see you, but we want to hear from you!
Here are some reasons to call us:

1.    You want to download a book. Many digital books are available for
download before we get the actual physical copy. If you have access to a
computer or a friend to help, you can get your books in minutes and even
keep them forever in your own library. We have staff available to walk you
through the whole downloading process. If this option doesn't work for you,
we can do our best to get you the book on a cartridge.

2.    You never seem to get enough books. Or they're all cassette books and
you'd prefer digital books, or because you're buried in too many books.
These changes are simple and will make your service work much better for
you.

3.  You get as many books as you want, but you don't like any of them. We do
our best to build effective subject, author and request lists in order to
provide the best ongoing service. Of course, it isn't a flawless system, so
we need your help to improve the selection of books you receive.

4.    You would like to request a book from our collection. It is best to
phone in these requests because they are instantly added to your account.
You can also discuss which books you want right away or any other questions
that you may have.

5.    Your player isn't working. Sometimes we can suggest fixes that will
get you reading again or we can get a replacement out to you right away.
Call us before you mail in your player if you need a replacement. Otherwise,
we won't be sure how to best serve you.

6.    You heard about a book from a friend or on TV. We can search for the
title quickly and tell you if we have it, send it out to you, or make a note
that you want the book so it can be sent to you when we receive it.

7.    You want to order books from our online catalog. We can help get you
started and explain how to use the catalog. If you don't have a computer,
you may have a friend or relative who has one and would like to help you.
(If it is convenient, you can also visit a local public library and use one
of its computers, or use WTBBL's patron computers.)

8.    You have questions about blindness and vision loss. We can share the
information we have and are always happy to refer you to other service
providers and assist in finding information. Remember, we have reference
librarians on staff and are glad to assist you with your question or
research.

9.    Because you are curious about our facility or want to meet staff in
person. Call to learn more about our service. You can also call to arrange a
tour of our library or to request a WTBBL staff person visit your community.

10.      You need to make changes to your account. If you have a new phone
number or address, or don't need the service anymore, call us and we can
make those changes immediately. If you have a friend who is interested in
using the library, we can get him or her an application. Remember, if you
will be out of town for a while, we can hold your service or mail books to a
temporary address.

********

Technology at the Library by Eura Szuwalski

We are living in a world that is becoming increasingly tech-oriented, and
many companies are providing features that allow for better accessibility
and usability. To stay at the forefront of these technologies and keep pace
with questions from our patrons, WTBBL has purchased four HP Folio 13
Ultrabook laptops, one MacBook Air laptop, an iPad 2 and a Kindle Keyboard.
Two of the HPs have demo versions of JAWS 13 (Job Access with Speech) and
the MacBook Air comes with VoiceOver, Mac's screen reader program, and Zoom,
Mac's magnifier program.

These new portable devices join the desktops in our patron computer lab,
which includes a full version of JAWS 11, soon to be upgraded to version 13,
and Snow Leopard running VoiceOver and MAGic and a desktop Mac with OS X
Zoom. To find out more about the computer lab, which is open for use by all
for training, please visit the information page:

http://www.wtbbl.org/FreePatronComputerStationTrainingatWTBBL.aspx

All of the new technologies were added to our inventory with training in
mind. We want to hear from you what types of training you want to see. You
are always welcome to email me at eura.szuwalski@ sos.wa.gov or call the
library at (800) 542-0866 and ask for Eura. As WTBBL's Electronic Services
and Instruction Librarian, I want to make sure that we are creating programs
that will help you, so share your thoughts with us!

********

WTBBL Updates  by Amy Ravenholt

Magazines Go Digital

Beginning this fall, NLS will stop producing magazines on cassette, and
start sending them on digital cartridge. Do NOT throw away these digital
magazines! They must be returned so they can be erased and loaded with the
next issue of your magazine. If you don't return your digital magazines
after several issues, your subscription will stop until you start sending
the cartridges back.

One cartridge may carry more than one magazine, but on the digital player it
will be easy to move from one magazine to the next, and to skip over
articles that don't interest you. The library has been contacting magazine
subscribers who don't have one of the new digital players to prepare them
for the transition. If you get Talking Book Topics on cassette now, it will
be included on the cartridge with your other magazines. The printed order
form will be mailed to you separately. There is a list of the magazines
available from NLS for free, printed in every issue of Talking Book Topics.
Please let us know if there are any magazines you aren't using, or if there
are any that you would like to start getting. You can check on your
subscriptions, and drop or add them by calling the library or emailing us at
<mailto:wtbbl at sos.wa.gov> wtbbl at sos.wa.gov.

Large Print Calendars

The Washington Talking Book & Braille Library has discontinued production of
its large print calendars. There are several organizations around the
country that provide free or low-cost large print calendars. Please call us
at (800) 542-0866 to get suggestions on finding free and nominal cost
calendars in different formats.

********

Librarian Picks

Adult Services Librarian Picks by Herrick Heitman

Audio: Adult Fiction

Home Front by Kristin Hannah.

Forty-one-year-old Jolene, a Washington state National Guard helicopter
pilot, is deployed to Iraq. She leaves behind a troubled marriage, a
difficult preteen daughter, and a preschooler. While Jolene experiences the
horrors of war, her husband Michael raises their children alone. Some
violence and some strong language. Bestseller. 2012. DB 74311.

The Man from Yesterday by Wayne Overholser.

Cascade City, Oregon. Nineteen-year-old rancher Neal Clark kills two men
during a bank robbery, but a third man escapes and sends Neal threatening
letters. Eight years later the mysterious robber returns in disguise to get
Neal's family. 1956. DB 74733.

Audio: Adult Nonfiction

Madness, Betrayal, and the Lash: The Epic Voyage of Captain George Vancouver
by Stephen R. Bown.

Canadian historian reevaluates the 18th century British explorer who
surveyed the uncharted Pacific American coast but whose uncontrollable rages
caused his  downfall. Discusses George Vancouver's scientific discoveries in
the context of the political intrigue between Britain, Spain and the newly
independent United States. 2008. DB 72284.

Don't Look Behind You: And Other True Cases [#15, Ann Rule's Crime Files] by
Ann Rule.

Four true-crime cases. In "North to Alaska" a divorced father loses contact
with his children. In "Too Late for the Fair" the grown son of a
long-missing woman suspects she was murdered by his father. Violence, strong
language and some explicit descriptions of sex. Bestseller. 2011. DB 74057.

********

Youth Services Librarian Picks by Mandy Gonnsen

Celebrate family and friends this holiday season with these stories about
friendships and family relationships! More titles are available by
contacting Youth Services Librarian Mandy Gonnsen at
<mailto:mandy.gonnsen at sos.wa.gov> mandy.gonnsen at sos.wa.gov.

For Younger Readers:

Will I Have a Friend? by Miriam Cohen.

When Jim's father takes him to school for the first time, Jim wonders
whether he will make a new friend. His dad thinks he

will, but Jim is not sure until Paul shares his tiny truck with him in the
afternoon. Print/Braille. For preschool-grade 2. 2009. BR 18026.

Frog and Toad are Friends by Arnold Lobel.

Five stories about the adventures of two friends, a solemn green frog and a
funny brown toad. When Frog is sick in bed looking green, Toad brings him
some tea and tells him a story. And when Toad loses his button, Frog helps
him find it. For grades K-3. 1970. DB 51143, BR 16435.

The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo.

Sixth-grader Rob Horton and classmate Sistine Bailey, the new and unhappy
kids in a small Florida town, discover a real live tiger in a cage near
Rob's home. They struggle over its fate as well as their own. For grades
4-7. 2001. DB 54216, BRW 1040.

For Older Readers:

Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata.

Georgia, 1950s. Katie's close-knit Japanese-American family puts up a brave
front when Katie's older sister Lynn is diagnosed with a terminal illness.
The family even goes into debt to buy a house, hoping Lynn's health will
improve there. For grades 6-9. Newbery Medal. 2004. BR 15996, DB 59896, LP
21357.

Autobiography of My Dead Brother by Walter Dean Myers.

Childhood friends Jesse and Rise are growing apart. While 15-year-old Jesse
develops his interest in art, Rise turns to the Harlem streets under
pressure to be cool. When their long-established neighborhood social group
becomes a gang, more violence enters their community. Violence. For junior
and senior high readers. 2005. BR 16294, DB 61458.

Adios to My Old Life by Caridad Ferrer.

Seventeen-year-old Cuban-American Ali Montero from Miami enters a Latin
American singing contest and wins a chance to compete on television. Her
father, a music professor, reluctantly allows her to continue. Ali learns
about the business - and falls in love. Some descriptions of sex and some
strong language. For senior high and older readers. Rita Award. 2006. DB
65488.

********

Volunteer Spotlight: Tasceaie Jennings

My name is Tasceaie. The name has its roots (but not its spelling) in the
Greek and Russian languages in the names Anestacia and Anestasia. I joke
with people that I could not spell my name until I was an undergrad.

I was born and raised in Los Angeles. I began my college studies in St.
Louis, and then taught grades 3 through 8 in parochial schools in San
Francisco (where I received my bachelor's degree and K-12 teaching
credential), Los Angeles and Boston. I graduated from Antioch University in
Seattle with a master's in Whole System Design, with a concentration in
Staff Development. I consider myself a life learner, and have taught at the
college level at City University in Seattle and elsewhere to help people
achieve their goals.

I have worked in the government sector for the City of Seattle and the State
of Washington, and in the corporate worlds of Hewlett-Packard, Target and
Sears. WTBBL brings me to the third sector of nonprofits as a volunteer.

It could be the fact that my work at WTBBL in the braille and book recording
departments is voluntary that makes my time here so enjoyable. But I really
think it is the staff here at the library.

I am having a blast!

********

Blessings from Our Donors by Carleen Jackson

I was thinking today about our patrons, community members, family members
and all our donors who support us each year. We are in the midst of the
Annual Fund drive and the gifts just keep arriving. Some gifts are large and
some are small, but it is clear that all are coming from the heart.

Equally important, though, is how your gifts inspire the staff and
volunteers at WTBBL. When state and federal funding isn't there to do what
we have to do to serve our patrons, our donors step forward, time and again.
It gives us the encouragement to find new ways to serve and to reach out to
the thousands of other Washingtonians who could be reading with WTBBL's
help.

Thank you for always being there for WTBBL and our patrons. All the best to
you for the holidays and for the new year.

********

Greetings from Rand Simmons, Acting State Librarian

This is a season of celebrations. I celebrate the solid support we have
received from current Secretary of State Sam Reed and his administrative
team and I look forward to continuing support from Secretary of State elect
Kim Wyman who will take office on January 16, 2013.

I also celebrate the faithful support of our Patron Advisory Council and the
good work they do under the leadership of Sue Ammeter. Above all, I
celebrate the support from you, our readers, patrons and their families, and
our donors who refresh our energy and spirit to continue to do this
wonderful work.

As for me, I will continue support the work of WTBBL.

********

>From the Heart by Carleen Jackson

Each year, the Washington Talking Book & Braille Library benefits from the
generosity of patrons, family and friends who make annual gifts to support
our mission.so that all may read. These contributions enable WTBBL to meet
pressing challenges and take advantage of unexpected opportunities that
arise throughout the year. When you give to WTBBL's Annual Fund, you help
provide a reliable and flexible stream of support for outreach, youth
services, braille books, audio books and much more.

We hope you will choose to support the Annual Fund this year, get involved,
and play a part in giving the gift of reading.

For questions, please contact me at  <mailto:carleen.jackson at sos.wa.gov>
carleen.jackson at sos.wa.gov, 360-902- 4126, or donate online at
www.wtbbl.org/donate.

********

Washington Talking Book & Braille Library

2021 9th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98121-2783

8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday

Phone: 206-615-0400 . Statewide toll free: 1-800-542-0866 . TTY:
206-615-0418

 <mailto:wtbbl at sos.wa.gov> wtbbl at sos.wa.gov .  <http://www.wtbbl.org>
www.wtbbl.org