[nfbwatlk] School-to-Work Transition, WA Department of Services for the Blind

Tue Dec 18 19:39:15 UTC 2012

Sounds like they say services may be limited depending on how much they cost.

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbwatlk [mailto:nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Nightingale, Noel
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:24 AM
To: nfbwatlk at nfbnet.org
Subject: [nfbwatlk] School-to-Work Transition, WA Department of Services for the Blind

See below from DSB website:  "Do I have to pay for DSB services?
DSB counseling services are free of charge. For all other services, we maximize federal and state resources to keep our services at no cost to you. "

I wasn't aware that DSB is charging for some of its transition services
Link:
http://www.dsb.wa.gov/services/transition.shtml

Text:
School-to-Work Transition
School-to-Work Transition helps students, as young as age 14, and their families think about and plan for life after high school.

DSB counselors assist with this transition by:

*Consulting on the student's vocational activities including part-time employment and internships
*Participating in Individual Education Plan (IEP) meetings
*Providing information regarding our services for adults, including job counseling and training in the adaptive skills of blindness
*Working in collaboration with students, parents, and school staff on post-school activities

What are the parents and students' responsibilities?
Until the student is 18 years old, a parent or guardian will sign to authorize services. Parental involvement and support is very important, especially in the early part of the process. Our goal is to move the student toward greater independence. Parents and students are asked to attend meetings with the DSB counselor and school staff to work in collaboration on post-school activities.

Do I have to pay for DSB services?
DSB counseling services are free of charge. For all other services, we maximize federal and state resources to keep our services at no cost to you.

How long do DSB services last?
There is no set time limit. Time varies depending on the individual needs of the client and the services provided.

Once the student has reached the age of 18, he/she can continue to receive services in:

*Job Counseling and Placement
*Skills of Blindness Training
*Assistive Technology (AT)

For more information, please contact us at 1(800)552-7103 or info at dsb.wa.gov<mailto:info at dsb.wa.gov>.