[nfbwatlk] the blind cafe

mjc59 at q.com mjc59 at q.com
Tue Jun 12 21:48:12 UTC 2012

Greetings all,

I would like to share my experience as a volunteer at the recent Blind Cafe events in Seattle. Despite the concerns of many (myself included), the evenings were very positive.

The room was completely dark. Electrical tape and heavy fabric blocked all sources of light. We led guests into the dining area, using our canes and talking with them as we did so. We seated them at their assigned tables. Their food was already on the tables. The meal was actually more like hors d'ouvres than dinner. There was fruit, chunks of marinated vegetables, bread with oil for dipping and bottled water. After they were seated there was a Q and A session where we answered some of the usual questions about blindness. On the 2nd night, following our suggestion, some of us sat at the guest tables rather than at the volunteer table. We returned to each table several times throughout the evening to check in with folks, bring more food and water, and answer more questions. The Blind Cafe was founded in Boulder, Colorado by a sighted man and my good friend Gerry Leary. While Gerry did not attend the Seattle events, he tells me that he has participated in nearly 20 others, and that all have gone extremely well. Two other blind guys, Jim Jackson and  Rick Hammond, travel around and help before and during the show. They are both graduates of the Colorado Center for the Blind and thoroughly embody Federation philosophy.

After dinner the blind volunteers served dessert. On the first night the two out-of-town guys did this. On the 2nd night, per our suggestion, Mike and Cindy also served dessert. Following the meal there was a short concert performed by Rosh (The Blind Cafe coordinator)  and some others. The music was pleasant and there was a little sing-along at the end. Then candles were lit and we stayed for more discussion. I personally talked with many sighted guests. They did not come away from their experience with a bleak view of blindness nor did they think that we are all amazing.

During the evening, as well as in the materials distributed beforehand, it was made clear to all of the guests that they were NOT experiencing what it is like to live as a blind person. The Blind Cafe is a community-building dinner and concert with blind people like us as integral parts of the evenings. You can go to their website, www.theblindcafe.com to learn more about its creation and mission

On the 2nd night each guest was given a braille alphabet card to check out after they left. The card also contained contact information for the Greater Seattle Chapter (courtesy of Mary Helen Scheiber). The Blind Cafe organization handles all of the ticket sales and promotion ($70 per person). There were about 100 guests each night. Our chapter will receive 10% of the proceeds. If there is enough interest in Seattle, there will be more shows in the future.

I came away from this experience with a VERY positive feeling. I would not only volunteer again, but would promote future events. I know there will always be those who will never believe that any good can come from these events. I am no longer one of those people.

Marci Carpenter