[nfbwatlk] Facebook Frustrations

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Jun 14 02:48:57 UTC 2012

Debby:

Obviously, I'm not Julie and she is perfectly capable of answering for
herself, but ...

The matter of whether an employer can make one divulge his/her Facebook
account information is currently under rather intense scrutiny by certain
members of Congress, notably Senator Schumer of New York. I suspect that
ultimately either Congresss will prohibit the practice or the courts will.

I don't see how an employer can require one to have a FB account, any more
than an employer can require that one engage in any other recreational
activity. However, I *can* conceive of situations wherein an employer could
require that one have a home computer capable of getting on the employer's
network via VPN or Remote Desktop Services as a condition of employment or,
say, subscribe to LinkedIn (at the employer's expense, of course) in order
to perform essential functions of a given job. So I suppose FB could be seen
in that light also. But since FB, MySpace and other similar services are
primarily recreational, I think ultimately employers will be prohibited from
requiring their use as a condition of employment.

However, an employer is quite free to look at FB or other social networking
site accounts -- they aren't private communications. So, like public email
lists such as this one, one uses them at one's own risk and should exercise
a modicum of prudence in what one posts to them.

'Nuff said for the moment.

Mike Freeman