[nfbwatlk] CFB 2012 Convention

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue May 22 04:15:43 UTC 2012

Greetings, everyone.

A few days ago, Ben asked how the recent convention of the Canadian
Federation of the Blind went. In a word, it was superb! Everyone
participated enthusiastically and there was quite a contingent of young
people in attendance. For the first time, there were attendees from Nanaimo,
B.C. as well as one from Vancouver and the usual contingent from Victoria
and Kelowna.

The convention had the atmosphere of one of our membership seminars from
years ago with many participants discussing there experiences searching for
employment, coming to terms with their blindness and two people described
attending NFB training centers. For the first time also, Canadian government
officials attended and began to understand why the "services" provided by
CNIB are not adequate.

The weather in Victoria was absolutely gorgeous and Connie and I enjoyed our
trip up and back on the AMTRAK Cascades and the Victoria Clipper fast boat
(about thirty knots!). We enjoyed dinner on Sunday evening with several of
the local convention participants.

Elizabeth Lalonde decided to step down as CFB President; mary Ellen Gabias
was elected CFB President. Larry Scharschmidt decided not to run for
Treasurer and Graeme McCreath was elected to that post.

AS is customary with a NFB national Representative, I gave a banquet
address. You can find it at the following link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21264582/The%20Patterns%20of%20Blindness.doc

I invited all to come to our NFB of Washington convention this fall!

For a report from the CFB perspective, go to the CFB web site,
http://www.cfb.ca.

Thanks to the CFB for the wonderful hospitality shown Connie and me. We will
reciprocate!

Mike Freeman