[nfbwatlk] You just never know

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Oct 24 02:28:38 UTC 2012

Hi, becky.

I don't remember the details of the incident as I seem to recall it
happening in 1980 or so. The gist of it, though, was that a number of blind
persons (including me) were going to a restaurant somewhere in either
downtown Portland or Southwest Portland and since this was prior to mobile
phones and the idea to go to the restaurant was a spur-of-the-moment thing,
we didn't know how the address translated into actual streets. (I may have
had a ham radio with me but a call to a commercial establishment like that
was iffy territory as to whether one could do this via autopatch on the ham
radio legally.) So one of us with a guide dog asked a cop whom someone with
some sight saw. The cop unfolded a map and proceeded to hold it under the
dog's nose. The dog didn't react; it was probably bewildered. The rest of us
laughed and just said something like: "MMM ... I don't think the dog's gonna
get it!" and asked the cop to give us names of nearby streets. He did so and
off we went. We were more interested in the food than in educating the cop
and his behavior seemed ill-omened to his grocking the education anyway.
(grin)

That's all I remember; it's been over thirty years since it happened.

Mike