[nfbwatlk] FW: [Nfb-science] Excellent Opportunity for Blind High School and College Students Interested in STEM

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Dec 31 18:01:02 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfb-science [mailto:nfb-science-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Nathanael T. Wales
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2013 6:33 PM
To: NFB Science and Engineering Division List; Discussion for blind youths and adults working in the Science field.; NFB of Connecticut Mailing List; Connecticut Association of Blind Students
Subject: [Nfb-science] Excellent Opportunity for Blind High School and College Students Interested in STEM

Colleagues and Friends:

You will probably see the following announcement distributed on our NFB
lists (it's already been posted on a couple of our Facebook groups) in the
coming weeks, but I wanted to add my own recommendation of this opportunity
which promises to be excellent.  The University of Washington and Professor
Ladner have partnered with many of our NFB science, technology, engineering,
and math (STEM) education initiatives over the past several years.  You may
recognize a couple of the mentors currently planning to attend, and Natalie
Shaheen, director of education at our Jernigan Institute, is on the
organizing committee for this workshop--so you know that this should be
outstanding.  Please feel free to forward as appropriate.

Nathanael Wales
--

Empowering Blind Students in Science and Engineering

Are you pursuing a career in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
(STEM)? Are you interested in meeting other blind people just like you?

Apply to take part in the Empowering Blind Students in Science and
Engineering workshop!

This amazing opportunity will allow blind and visually impaired students to:
•    Attend presentations on professional development and accessibility
•    Be mentored by successful blind STEM professionals
•    Network with industry, government, and education leaders
•    And meet blind students pursuing STEM just like you!

•    Who: Blind high school and college students pursuing STEM careers
•    When: Monday and Tuesday, June 2 and 3, 2014
•    Where: Seattle, WA

Applicants must be at least 18 years old by the date of the workshop.
Selected applicants will receive an expenses-paid trip. See our website for
the application and more details.
http://ebsse.cs.washington.edu/

this workshop is organized by Professor Richard Ladner at the University of
Washington and sponsored by The Fetzer Institute.

Email your questions to the workshop contact, Cynthia Bennett, at
bennec3 at cs.washington.edu