[nfbwatlk] Study to investigate how blind people visualize emotional situations and make moral judgements

Tue Jan 22 15:32:15 UTC 2013

Steve,

Welcome to the list.  While I agree with your sentiments, and if it were a college study that was supposed to have some national import I would oppose it, since it is high schoolers doing this, and they are wanting probably mostly to learn about blind people and blindness, I think we could respond to their inquiries. Only if it goes the "wrong" way should we begin looking at what it means to us.  Others may have other ideas.

/s/

Bennett Prows
-----Original Message-----
From: nfbwatlk [mailto:nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Steve Ice
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 9:09 PM
To: nfbwatlk at nfbnet.org
Subject: Re: [nfbwatlk] Study to investigate how blind people visualize emotional situations and make moral judgements

I always enjoy helping students but consider this endeavor flawed. The
sense of proportionality used in making decisions regarding fairness and
justice would arise well enough from any number of sensory modalities.
Emotional situations differ from just decision making in that they are
'hot' feeling states and, in my experience, a subjects response is queued
more by voice, intonation and breathing - no 'visualization' required.
I don't want to be negative here, on my first post,  but It just feels
wrong to respond to a study that asks if blind people make moral decision
differently than sighted people.

--
Stephen Ice
Reply to Stephen.A.Ice at gmail.com