[nfbwatlk] FW: [List] FW: [Viewpoints] Blind lawyer challenges TTC;

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Aug 21 15:22:37 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: List [mailto:list-bounces at cfb.ca] On Behalf Of Mary ellen
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:22 PM
To: list at cfb.ca
Subject: [List] FW: [Viewpoints] Blind lawyer challenges TTC;

The following article demonstrates the problems we face in Canada.

David Lepofsky accurately expresses his fear of center platforms in subway
stations.  It's very real for him; he's not being melodramatic.

Across North America, thousands of blind people use center platforms every
day.  Most don't give it any particular thought, except for the vigilance
required to keep track of the platform edge and listen for the correct
train.

So why has Mr. Lepofsky developed an honest conviction that center platforms
are inaccessible leading  him to paralyzing fear of using them, while
thousand of others have developed a "no big deal" attitude?

The answer is training and expectations.  Students won't learn to "read" the
information their canes give them about changes in the terrain
automatically.  Somehow they must come to expect that they can learn to do
so.  Then they must practice until theory becomes reality.  They need tools,
like canes that are long enough and responsive enough.

A very famous education study tested the power of teacher expectations on
student learning.  Teachers were told that they had been given a class of
exceptionally bright students.  In reality, they had been given a class with
an average mix of bright and not so bright pupils.  At the end of the year,
students in the classes where the teacher had been told their students  were
brighter than average performed much better than average on standardized
tests.  It would have been unethical to do the reverse and tell teachers
their class was sub par.

Look at what John Rafferty, CEO of CNIB, which is supposed to have expert
knowledge about blindness, is quoted as having said about the capacity of
blind travelers.

John Rafferty, president of the CNIB, formerly the Canadian National
Institute for the Blind, agrees, saying the organization "supports the
critical need for all public transit stations to have side platforms to
assist spatial orientation rather than centre platforms."

Our CNIB "teachers" believe blind people are a class of sub par students.
Is it any wonder that many of us live down to their expectations?

Blind people increasingly expect to live in a welcoming social and
environmental context.  We're expecting more from life than any generation
of blind people in history.  But are we expecting less and less from
ourselves? To what extent should blind people learn to manage in the world
as it is, inconvenient as that adaptation can sometimes be?  When is it a
betrayal of our citizenship rights to fail to insist upon structural
modifications or changes in the way information is presented? Not easy
questions to answer.

The most disturbing puzzle of all is what we can do to give practical help
to our blind brothers and sisters who are still afraid and have not yet
rejected the low expectations imposed on them--while at the same time
denouncing "accessibility" measures that are both unnecessary and
patronizing.

Our struggle is made all the more difficult when the lowest expectations of
all issue from the alleged "font of wisdom" for the blind.

David Lepofsky, I remember feeling your fear and wish only the best for you.
John Rafferty and friends, shame on you  for what you continue to do to
blight our futures with your bigotry of low expectations!