[nfbwatlk] FW: NCD's Janice Lehrer-Stein Blogs for Disability.gov Blog on Accessible Rx Labels

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Fri Mar 28 19:31:26 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Lawrence Carter-Long for the National Council on Disability [mailto:LCarterLong at NCD.GOV]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2014 2:22 PM
To: NCD-NEWS-L at LIST.NCD.GOV
Subject: NCD's Janice Lehrer-Stein Blogs for Disability.gov Blog on Accessible Rx Labels

Nearly 14 million Americans – and as many as 135 million people worldwide – most of whom are 65 years of age or older, experience low vision or blindness. Low vision can influence quality of life in both obvious and not so obvious ways.

NCD member Janice Lehrer-Stein recently blogged about the problems -- and the promise -- of accessible drug labels over at Disability.gov.

"As someone who is blind, I make every effort to maximize independence in terms of my own safety and health care, yet the inaccessibility of most drug labels makes it impossible for me to have the same degree of certainty that I have in other areas of my life, such as my work and my leisure time. The bottom line is despite my desire and determination to be independent, when it comes to taking prescription medication, I’m not.

Thankfully... new guidance is now available from the U.S. Access Board on work that is being done to make prescription drug container labels more accessible to people who are blind or have low vision – including seniors and other persons with visual disabilities. Many questions remain for both industry representatives and consumers, such as, “How large does large print need to be?” “What is the best method of communicating recorded label audio information to users?” “What format is preferred when creating Braille labels?”

Find out the answers to these questions and more at:
http://usodep.blogs.govdelivery.com/2014/03/20/for-14-million-americans-accessible-rx-labels-equal-independence/

Thank you!

National Council on Disability
1331 F Street, NW, Suite 850
Washington, DC 20004
202-272-2004 Voice
202-272-2074 TTY
202-272-2022 Fax
Website: http://www.ncd.gov
Get regular updates via NCD’s Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/NCDgov
Follow NCD on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/NatCounDis
Sign up for regular email updates at: