[nfbwatlk] Re Job hunting

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Sat Nov 8 21:22:27 UTC 2014

After rereading my earlier post, I realized that I may have sounded cavalier
about the serious problems we face.  My intention was to focus on ways we
can deal with employers in a manner that puts us ahead of most of the rest
of the job seeking public.  I'm not minimizing the problems, both
technological and attitudinal.  They're severe.  In fact, I believe they're
getting more complex and difficult because of the changing nature of the job
market.

It is difficult to know whether failure to become employed is due to
attitudes about blindness, complex technological issues, or just plain
old-fashioned employer discression having nothing to do with blindness.

How do we advance ourselves when we don't even know for sure where to focus?
I believe the strategy of thinking of how we can be of service to an
employer and communicating that intent and competence is our single best
option.  It won't work as often as it should, but it sets our minds and
hearts free to focus on something other than fear of rejection.  No
guarantees; far from it.  It is generally good, however, to put our focus on
what we can do rather than on what we're afraid people might think of us.

If you get that job on Wednesday, Debbie, it will clearly be because they
recognized your worth.  If you don't get that job, the reasons may have
nothing to do with you at all.  They may be as ancient as the fear of the
dark.  Please, don't let the potential of their fears distract you from
believing in your tremendous capacity.

Mary Ellen