[nfbwatlk] FW: Gov. Jay Inslee calls special legislative session for April 29, will call budget writers back early

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Apr 27 15:44:42 UTC 2015

From: Dean Stenehjem [mailto:Dean.Stenehjem at wssb.wa.gov]
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2015 8:20 AM
Subject: FW: Gov. Jay Inslee calls special legislative session for April 29,
will call budget writers back early

From: Smith, Jaime (GOV) [mailto:jaime.smith at gov.wa.gov]
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2015 2:20 PM
To: Smith, Jaime (GOV)
will call budget writers back early

cid:image001.jpg at 01D06558.EBCECB30

April 23, 2015

Contact: Jaime Smith, Governor Inslee's Communications Office  |
360.902.4136

Gov. Jay Inslee calls special legislative session for April 29, will call
budget writers back early

Gov. Jay Inslee told legislative leaders today that he will call them into
special session on Wednesday, April 29, to complete major work that will be
left undone when the regular session ends this week. Inslee will invite
budget negotiators to meet in his office Monday morning to give negotiators
a head start before the special session begins.

"Before the Legislature convened in January, I said we must fund education
through a sustainable and responsible budget, approve a transportation
improvement package and make progress on fighting carbon pollution," Inslee
said. "That work remains undone. A special session will allow lawmakers to
focus on these priorities and I expect the work to be done within the 30-day
session."

Inslee informed House and Senate leadership of his decision today. Tomorrow,
the governor will issue the formal proclamation calling the session.

"It is time for all sides to compromise, and on Monday I hope to hear
openness to that and acknowledgement that the House and Senate will have to
move toward each other in order to get the people's work done."

The operating budget, including an education funding plan that addresses the
McCleary decision, is the top priority for the special session. There are
court deadlines looming and school districts will soon begin planning for
the next school year.

Inslee will also ask lawmakers to finish work on a transportation
improvement package, a capital construction budget and critical policy
legislation.

# # #

www.governor.wa.gov <http://www.governor.wa.gov/>

 <https://www.facebook.com/WaStateGov> cid:image005.png at 01CFE39F.E522EBD0