[nfbwatlk] Transit Guide-Bots for Blind Passengers?, Route Fifty presented by Government Executive, May 17 2015

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Tue Jun 16 19:47:47 UTC 2015

The major problem with this arrangement is that it isn't under the control
of the blind person.  One has to contact transit and request the guide bot.

I believe blind people should learn to feel confident and competent in
travel situations with no access to high tech.  As a matter of fact, I
believe blind people need to find ways to keep control of their movement
when a cane gets broken. Not a pleasant situation, but it does happen, and
who wants to be stranded for lack of five feet of carbon fiber?

I also know sighted people who use GPS and a compass and don't see any
reason why blind people shouldn't have access to those tools, too.  The
danger for blind and sighted people in this high tech society, of course, is
that our sense of direction will atrophy because of the ready availability
of GPS just as our ability to do arithmetic in our heads has diminished
since we all started using calculators.  I won't even begin on the joys and
perils of spell checking!

Working with sight is a viable method; it only becomes dubious if a blind
person feels inept without the availability of sight. One reason for
acquiring a guide dog is to have access to vision that one controls.
Admittedly, the capacity of canine vision is bound by the capacity of canine
intellect and the ability of a dog to correctly understand the desires and
commands of the owner.  A dog that has just been trained to understand
"forward," "left," and "right" will be less useful than a dog that can also
understand commands like "inside," "outside," "elevator," and "up stairs."

If someone were to invent a truly useful robot that could give me advance
information concerning obstacles so that I could maneuver gracefully around
them, I'd happily buy one.  I chose to lengthen my cane to give me a half
step advance notice so that I could travel more smoothly and not have to
rely on hair trigger swift reaction time.  A tool is just that, a tool.  If
somebody invents a better tool, I'm interested.

I don't want to become one of those people who cannot function without a
fancy tool.  I know too many drivers who feel and act marooned if they don't
have access to a car.  I don't want to emulate that sort of dependence.

Fifty presented by Government Executive, May 17 2015

Hmmm is right! So, we want sighted guides everywhere?