[nfbwatlk] FW: [wtbbl] World War II Project

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Mar 4 17:39:50 UTC 2015

From: WTBBL [mailto:wtbbl at list.statelib.wa.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 8:01 AM
Subject: [wtbbl] World War II Project

Good morning WTBBL community. The Office of the Secretary of State (our administering agency) is doing a neat project to recognize the upcoming 70th anniversary of WWII. I want to share this with you in case you would like to participate or share with family and friends. The information is below and the very last line is the information for the contact person if you have questions about the project. All the best, Danielle Miller, Director - 206-615-1588 or danielle.miller at sos.wa.gov

Ahead of  the 70th anniversary of World War II, Legacy Washington is preparing to honor veterans in a number of meaningful ways.   We will release a series of personal online stories in the near future, and we will open a small exhibit in the Capitol Building later this summer.  Additionally, over the next several months, we would like to salute these service members online in our virtual collection “Faces of Heroes,”  and we need your help.

Do you have a photograph of a WWII veteran in your family that you would like to share?   I’m deeply proud that my uncle, John Cornelius Dobbs, served with distinction in World War II, receiving both the Bronze Star and Purple Heart.   I’ve submitted his photograph to be used in the online collection and urge you to do the same to honor one of your family members.

Details on how to participate are provided below.   Thank you in advance for sharing in the story of Washington!

What is Legacy Washington?  A gateway to Washington history committed to educating citizens, particularly young people.  Legacy Washington is an outreach program that raises the visibility of the wonderful work you do in SOS history programs.

FACES OF HEROES

Share an Image—Honor a WWII Veteran

Do you hold photographs of a World War II veteran?  Please submit your image to Washington Remembers, a tribute to those who served in history’s greatest global conflict. Your photograph may be featured in our online collection, “Faces of Heroes”.  To qualify, all World War II veterans must be current or former Washingtonians. (Our veterans include individuals who played a significant role in the war effort off of the battlefield.)

Quality photos must be:

1.       300x300 pixels

2.       In JPEG or TIFF format

Remember, agency email only allows up to 25 MB.

Please note that photos used for “Faces of Heroes” will be at the discretion of Legacy Washington and may be touched up or resized, as needed.   Legacy Washington also reserves the right to publish or reproduce the uploaded photograph on our webpage, in social media pages and in our exhibits and promotional materials.

​Submission information (Please complete the form in its entirety and include only one photograph).

Please email the photo and submission information below to Lori.Larson at sos.wa.gov by April 1

Submitter’s information:

·         First/last name

·         Email address

·         Phone number

·         Address

·         Relationship to veteran in image

Veteran’s information:

·         First/last name

·         Birth/death date

·         Branch of service

o   Army (including its air forces)

o   Navy

o   Marine Corp

o   Coast Guard

o   Merchant Marine

·         Military rank

·         Years of service

·         Interesting fact or story about this person’s service. (20 words or less)

If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Lori Larson at  lori.larson at sos.wa.gov