[nfbwatlk] Reaching Out

Jim Portillo portillo.jim at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 16:17:53 UTC 2016

Good morning, Ben,

Jim Portillo here hoping all's going well.  Been a while since we've seen
one another.  Busy times around here.

I was wondering if I could ask you for a favor.

I believe that you're having your chapter meeting tomorrow, is that right?
A friend and coworker of mine will be attending for what I think is her
first time.  Her name is Carrie Lampel, and among other things, she's the
ESL teacher here at the OTC.  She also has many other jobs, including acting
as sort of Julie's assistant.

She's interested in the NFB and seems to be learning more and more that
direction philosophically.

She may know a couple of people, but I think those people are former
students of ours.

I was hoping that if she does go tomorrow that you could make it a point to
introduce yourself to her and chat for a bit.  I've said nothing but great
things about you and told her that you'd be a great person to talk to about
the organization and the philosophy.

In fact, one thing I'd like to talk to you about later on this spring is
being a guest speaker for the OTC.  You've done it for me before.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind that I asked you this favor.  I just think
Carrie would do well meeting and chatting with you.  You're a veteran, and
that's a good thing.

The only reason she wouldn't show up tomorrow is because she was sick the
past couple of days and has been trying to get over whatever cold or cough
she had.  She doesn't work on Fridays, so I don't know how she's feeling.
She seemed to be on the upswing though.

Her intention is to go though.

Thanks, Ben.

Jim