[nfbwatlk] NFB Greater Seattle Chapter meeting, May 21

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat May 14 18:17:04 UTC 2016

Hi all,
After we explore the sculpture park next Friday, join us next
Saturday, May 21, for our monthly chapter meeting from 10:00 a.m.-noon
at 521 Wall St. (City University).
This month, Cindy Bennett will be leading a discussion about appliance
accessibility and other current technology issues. We will also be
doing some planning for our summer picnic.
Lunch after the meeting will be at Cyclops, 2421 1st Ave. where we
have been several times before.

In addition, this meeting will be my last Seattle chapter meeting.
Shortly after our April meeting, my husband received and accepted a
job offer at the Federal Bureau of Prisons in Washington, DC starting
on May 31 and I will be moving with him week after next. Although we
have known for some time that this might happen, I wanted to wait
until the plans were definite before announcing to the chapter
membership. At our May 21 meeting, we will decide as a chapter whether
to hold an official election for our next president, or to simply
allow our first and second vice-presidents (Mike Mello and Jacob
Struiksma) to move up into the president and first vice-president
positions. Our constitution does not specify this, so it is at the
membership's discretion. Mike has agreed to serve as president if
elected or appointed by the membership. I am committed to work with
the next president remotely from Washington, DC as needed to
coordinate national convention assistance and other chapter activities
so as to ensure a smooth transition for the chapter.

I wanted to express my thanks to the NFB of Washington and the Seattle
chapter for welcoming me so warmly when I came two years ago and for
allowing me to serve the affiliate. It has been my pleasure working
with all of you. This will be my third interstate move, and it is
wonderful to know that wherever I end up in the country, there is
always an NFB family. I hope we can continue to extend that same
hospitality to all those who come to us.

Best,
Arielle Silverman
President, NFB Greater Seattle Chapter