[nfbwatlk] 2016 NFB of Washington convention agenda

Fri Oct 7 14:40:55 UTC 2016

Congratulations to our President for putting together an excellent agenda this year. Makes me want to go twice. (smile.) And, I am really intrigued that the hospitality room opens on Saturday after the banquet, and in the agenda it seems that chapter reports are scheduled for 10:05 PM. Probably do need a drink or a few for these reports, as we are really getting active. I'm sure the agenda means the chapter reports are at 10:05 AM. (Just had a good laugh about that.)

Thanks for posting this, Marci. See you all at the convention.

/s/

Bennett

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbwatlk [mailto:nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Marci Carpenter via nfbwatlk
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2016 2:22 PM
To: NFB of Washington Talk Mailing List' List
Cc: Marci Carpenter
Subject: [nfbwatlk] 2016 NFB of Washington convention agenda

 AGENDA
2016 Convention
	National Federation of the Blind
of Washington
Marci Carpenter, President
October 14 - 16, 2016
Best Western Plus Tacoma Dome Hotel
2611 East E Street
Tacoma, WA 98421

The National Federation of the Blind of Washington knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Important Information and Announcements

Unless otherwise noted, all meetings and exhibits will take place in the Seahawk Room. Exhibits will be in the Mariner Room. All meeting rooms, along with the hotel restaurant, and the lounge, are located on the main lobby level.

The guide dog relief area is straight across the parking lot from the front entrance of the hotel. The hotel has established it as a pet relief area so it has a garbage can and baggies.

The Hospitality Suite will open Friday evening and immediately after the banquet on Saturday evening. The Greater Seattle chapter will welcome you with snacks and beverages.

The hotel restaurant provides a free, full breakfast to all guests which includes a chef preparing fresh omelets. The restaurant is also open for dinner from 5:00 pm-10:00 pm. This restaurant is not open for lunch. There is a sit down restaurant called Ammar’s Mediterranean Grill at 400 E. 26th St (directly across 26th St from the hotel). They serve Italian and Greek food, but also have hamburgers and steak. It is open from 11:00 am-9 pm every day. There are also several places to eat at Freighthouse Square one block from the hotel at 2501 E. D St. (See the information below about a special lunch event on Saturday).

White Cane Walk & Independence Lunch - Saturday, October 15 is White Cane Day. The white cane is a tool used by many blind people and is also a symbol of our independence. We will be walking as a group to Freighthouse Square for lunch on Saturday. This is a former train station building circa 1909. It has a number of food venues with plenty of seating, and also some unique retail shops and an art gallery. Upon adjournment at noon on Saturday we will walk as a group to Freighthouse Square and eat lunch.

CONVENTION AGENDA

Friday, October 14

1:00 pm Registration opens

1:00 pm-6:00 pm Exhibits
Mariner Room

2:15 pm-3:45 pm Convention First Timers Session Meet NNFBW leaders and mentors, learn how the convention works and participate in a fun activity.

4:00 pm-5:00pm NFB of Washington Board of Directors meeting

7:00 pm-8:00 pm Resolutions Committee meeting Sonic Room

8:00 pm-10:00 pm Icebreaker Activity and Mingling Seahawk Room (No alcohol will be sold here)

10:00 pm Hospitality Suite opens with beer, wine and snacks Location TBA

Saturday, October 15

8:00 am Convention Registration

9:00 am Welcome and Opening Announcements

9:15 am NFB National Report
Ever Lee Hairston, Board member, National Federation of the Blind

9:45 am NFBW State Report
Marci Carpenter, President, NFB of Washington

10:05 pm Chapter Reports

10:25 am Break

10:40 am Sports and Recreation Help Us Live The Lives We Want
Goalball- Jacob Struiksma, 2nd Vice President, Greater Seattle Chapter

10:50 am Volunteering at the General Assembly of the World Blind Union-Buna Dahal, Owner, Dynamic Buna

11:00 am New Youth Priorities in the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act; Directions and Ramifications

11:25 am Lessons of Entrepreneurship
Peggy Martinez, Owner, Creative Inclusions

11:35 am News from the National Association of Blind Students Kathryn Webster, President, NABS

11:50 am Reports and Resolutions

Noon – 1:45 pm White Cane Walk & Independence Lunch

2:00 pm Afternoon Breakout Sessions-concurrent sessions. Choose one.

*Washington Association of Parents of Blind Children Jennifer Gandarias, President Seahawk Room

*Washington Association of Blind Students Hannah Werbel, President Mariner Room

*Membership Engagement and Fundraising
Sonic Room

 3:15 pm Break

3:30 pm Meet-Ups & Mini Sessions-concurrent sessions. Attend as many as you like.

*Tacoma Chapter Reorganization

*Emerging Technologies

*Trends in the Workforce Job-Seekers Must Know

*Blind Parents Meetup

*Washington Association of Guide Dog Users Meetup

*Diabetes Action Network Meetup

4:30 pm Reconvene and Debrief

4:40 pm Elections

5:00 pm Adjourn

6:00 pm Reception and Cash Bar

7:00 pm Convention Banquet
Gary Mackenstadt, Master of Ceremonies
Banquet Address, Ever Lee Hairston, National Representative Presentation of Scholarships

9:30 pm After Party
Hospitality Suite

Sunday, October 16

9:30 am Announcements

9:35 am Special Surprise Guest

9:50 am Roundtable Philosophy Discussions-topics TBA

10:20 am Legislative Issues Affecting Blind People in Washington State - Discussion and Action

11:00 am    Adjourn