[NFBWATLK] FW: Pro Tactile Newsletter - Winter 2017 plus case manager job announcement

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Wed Dec 20 18:30:03 UTC 2017

From: Heather Melendez - DBSC [mailto:AdminAssistant at seattledbsc.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:39 AM
To: DBSC Info
Subject: Pro Tactile Newsletter - Winter 2017

DEAFBLIND SERVICE CENTER
[cid:e34d7688-e3e6-45ae-a69d-0c5f84d6230e]
                                                                                                                                                                                                 Winter 2017

Toll-Free Phone Number
DBSC is excited to announce that we now have a new toll-free phone number!  The number is: 1-833-235-5550. The toll-free phone number is on our official website.

Part time DBSC Case Manager
DBSC is looking for someone who is interested in working as a part-time Case Manager. More information about the details of this position is given on our website. Click here<http://seattledbsc.org/job-opportunities/> for a link to the job posting.  If you have any questions, please contact the Executive Director, Angela Theriault, at: atheriault at seattledbsc.org<mailto:atheriault at seattledbsc.org> or VP: 206 257-2754.

City of Seattle ADA Townhall
The City of Seattle and DBSC recently collaborated to set up a City of Seattle ADA TownHall for the DeafBlind Community. The event was held on Saturday November 4th, 2017 at The Douglass-Truth Branch of The Seattle Public Library from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm.  The goal was to receive valuable feedback, suggestions, and ideas related to access issues from the DeafBlind community. The event was a huge success! Twenty-eight DeafBlind participants attended the event.
Five different departments from the City of Seattle were involved:
1. Human Services Department
2. The Seattle Center
3. Parks and Recreation
 4. Public Library
5. Seattle Department of Transportation
In addition, two people from the ‘Taskar Center for Accessible Technology’ of the
Computer Science & Engineering department at the University of Washington were invited to share and show 3D map printing. They wanted DeafBlind participants input concerning 3D mapping.

There were six groups of approximately four to five Deafblind participants. Each of the five City of Seattle departments that attended spent 20 minutes with each deafblind group, gathering valuable feedback.

DBSC and the City of Seattle would like to express our thanks to the DeafBlind participants who showed up to the event and shared their valuable feedback and ideas.  We anticipated that twenty minutes might not be enough, but it was a good start.

Support Service Providers (SSPs)
Support Service Providers (SSPs) assist DeafBlind individual(s) by providing visual/environmental information so they can have their basic needs met. These include; food shopping, basic banking, material reading, running errands, and/or providing rides to the airport.

Do you:
- Have the desire to be in a supporting role by assisting those with vision and hearing loss by providing visual/environmental information?

- Possess American Sign Language (ASL) skills or are currently learning ASL? (We might accept some individuals with no ASL skills to work with clients who use spoken language.)

- Have some free time and want to earn some extra income?

If you answered yes to the above, WE NEED YOU!

The DeafBlind Service Center (DBSC) is searching for motivated candidates to work part-time as sub-contractors with our DeafBlind clients in the following areas:
- Thurston County (Olympia)
- Pierce County (greater Tacoma area)
- South King County (Renton, Kent, Federal Way)
Training will be provided.  You must be able to pass a background check and have a Washington state business license.  You must also have a vehicle.
If you are interested or have any questions, please contact Debra Kahn at ssp at seattledbsc.org<mailto:ssp at seattledbsc.org>.
Feel free to pass this info to others who might be interested.

 Communication Facilitators (CF)
The DeafBlind Service Center is looking for persons who are available to work as a subcontractor during the week during daytime hours.  It can be as little as a few hours per week. We have available work in Greater Seattle, Yakima, and Spokane areas. The position is called a Communication Facilitator (CF). The CF’s responsibility is to copy sign language from a videophone (VP) screen of a person using sign language to the DeafBlind client using tactile or close vision sign language. The CF also provides visual & environmental information and uses ProTactile techniques for the DeafBlind client. In this way, the DeafBlind client is able to communicate via CF when making video phone calls.
If you are interested in becoming a CF or would like more information, please contact Jackie Engler-Morris at jengler at seattledbsc.org<mailto:jengler at seattledbsc.org>.

Holiday Closure
DBSC will be closed on December 25th and December 26th 2017, and Jan 1st, 2018.
Happy Holidays! We wish all of you happiness this holiday season and throughout the coming year!

PRO-TACTILE NEWS - December 2017
Donate to DBSC

If you would like to donate DBSC’s programs & services, you can donate on our DBSC website! Click here to donate<http://seattledbsc.org/support/supportDonate.php>.

[cid:c939e4b2-8a45-485b-b4f6-8ced2205d149]DBSC is on Facebook!

Click here to join<https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Deaf-Blind-Service-Center/307809821674> DBSC on FACEBOOK!

                                                                                                                   [cid:5f7bee58-0741-468c-9ebb-7eb676853a72]

DeafBlind Service Center

1620 18th Avenue, Suite 200, Seattle, WA  98122

VP (206) 455-7932 ● TTY (206) 323-3644

Voice Line: 206-323-9178

info at seattledbsc.org<mailto:info at seattledbsc.org> ● www.seattledbsc.org<http://www.seattledbsc.org>

To unsubscribe to the monthly Pro-Tactile E-News,

Please email info at seattledbsc.org<mailto:info at seattledbsc.org>

Heather Melendez

Administrative Assistant

DeafBlind Service Center