[NFBWATLK] Fwd: Public Hearing on Proposed Changes to the WAC available online

Marci Carpenter mjc59 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 12 20:51:46 UTC 2018

The proposed updates to the Washington Administrative Code (WAC) for the Department of Services for the Blind (DSB) are now available for comment. Some are related to the recent passage of the federal Workforce investment and Opportunity Act. There are, however, other changes in state regulations which DSB is proposing. I urge members to read and comment on these proposed changes. There is language in them about Order of Selection, informed choice and other important issues. DSB’s public hearing on the propose changes is Wednesday, February 7, 5:30 pm-7:30 pm at the Seattle DSB office, 3411 S Alaska St. Those wishing to provide comments in person may do so at the hearing but i would also recommend putting them in writing. Written comments should be sent to info at dsb.wa.gov. Contact me or other NFBW board members or chapter Presidents if you need help putting your comments in writing. The current notice on the agency webpage does not specify a hard deadline for submitting written comments though you can make inferences based on the hearing date. The agency says they are going to clarify that on their website.

These changes could significantly impact vocational rehabilitation services to blind people in Washington. I strongly encourage you to read and comment on the proposed changes t0 state law.

Marci