[NFBWATLK] Article: Cracking Down on Fake Service Dogs, Route Fifty, March 17 2019

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 05:12:40 UTC 2019

I'm not in support of a national registry nor am I in support of an annual certification by somebody who knows nothing about how guides work. I'd be willing to have someone from my school do some kind of certification every five years or so, if there has to be such a thing, but nobody else. And even then I think it's totally unwieldy. I always carry my school ID, but in my over thirty years of working with a dog, I think I've showed ID like maybe four times. Three of those times were back in the 80's, the other was in Florida at one of the overflow hotels at the NFB convention in 2015. I admit I probably shouldn't have done that, but the guy was being such an AH and my husband and I had such jet lag that I showed him my ID, but telling him that I didn't have to, I was just doing it so we could get our room. Even after I showed it to him, he was still an AH. There will always be people who will hassle people with legitimate dogs. And there will always be people who try to skirt the law to do what they want to do. People drive without doivers' licenses too because they want to get away with something. If making laws keep some people from bringing their little mongrel dogs in public, fine. But it won't solve the whole problem. And a national registry sounds draconian to me. I'll still carry my ID with me, and it will probably be 20 years before I have to show it again, or choose to show it again.     Debby