[NFBWATLK] Last chance for HB 1706

Marci Carpenter mjc59 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 17 19:59:20 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

Our bill to and subminimum wage is has been narrowed significantly by amendments in the Senate. As it is now written it would only apply to state entities such as institutions or offices of state government. This is drastically different from our ultimate goal of illuminating subminimum wage payments to all workers with disabilities in Washington. After talking with John Pare from our national legislative staff we have decided to support this very limited version of the bill. We will then come back next year with a more broad based bill. We will also hold a Legislative day in Olympia at the beginning of next year’s session.

Today is the deadline for bills to make it out of the state Senate. They are due to reconvene shortly. If you want to tune in to listen go to
https://www.tvw.org/tvchannels/senate/

I will update everyone after today’s senate session. Thank you to everyone who has contacted their legislators. We have been working with a great group of advocates from across the disability community and we have learned much from this year’s process.

Marci Carpenter
Sent from Marci's iPhone