[NFBWATLK] FW: Port of Seattle making mobility improvments - voting 1/22/19 on $1.5M contract

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Tue Jan 22 16:42:30 UTC 2019

From: Cindi Laws [mailto:cindilaws at msn.com]
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 9:01 PM
To: Stephanie Bowman; Fred Felleman; Courtney Gregoire; Peter Steinbrueck; Ryan Calkins
Subject: Port of Seattle making mobility improvments - voting 1/22/19 on $1.5M contract

Friends and Colleagues,

As you may recall, a couple years ago, we set out to improve mobility and access for all people with disabilities at SeaTac Airport. For 16 months, I had urged the Port to attain the goal of becoming the "Most Accessible Airport in America", following their great work becoming the "Greenest Airport in North America". With Commissioner Stephanie Bowman driving this forward, the Port adopted that goal in 2017 (although they have dialed it back a bit; the linked memo now states:

"the Airport's goal of being as accessible as possible" (emphasis added)
While I disagree with softening of the goal by the newest Executive Director, things are happening. The Port responded to Commissioners' demands by hiring a consulting group, the Open Doors Organization (ODO), to conduct research and make recommendations . The Port has since made several noteworthy improvements, including easy and low-hanging fruit such as the "golf carts" between the Airport's light rail stop and the skyway bridge to the terminal.

On Tuesday, January 22, the Port Commission will be voting on options to improve mobility inside the airport and at cruise ship terminals. the change is reflective to many of the concerns raised by deaf and blind people in the several outreach meetings we scheduled. Previously, when airport users requested assistance, a wheelchair was deployed, annoying the heck out of able-bodied people with a non-mobility disability. The item linked here is to the memo from Stephen Metruck, Executive Director of the Port, to the Port Commissioners (whose emails are up above). https://meetings.portseattle.org/portmeetings/attachments/2019/2019_01_22_RM_8d.pdf

If you can attend the Commission meeting on Tuesday, please sign up and speak during public comment period. The session begins at 12:00 PM. The meeting is held Seattle-Tacoma International Airport - Conference Center. It is on the mezzanine level on the south end of the terminal (by the suspended airplane exhibit); for those who drive and park in the garage, the receptionist can validate your parking.

If you cannot attend, please email the Port Commissioners with your opinions and suggestions on the proposal. And, if you are inclined, please recognize them for their work to advance mobility and access at the Port of Seattle.

Thank you for your continued advocacy!

Cindi Laws

(206) 790-4232

Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Association of Washington

Lobbyist/Director

A Nonprofit Corporation

Airport Customer Accessibility Board Member

King County Mobility Board Member

Former Co-Chair, Seattle Commission for People with Disabilities