[NFBWATLK] HB 1706 floor vote-come to Olympia

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 21:08:05 UTC 2019

Thanks very much for the update!

Judy

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBWATLK [mailto:nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Marci Carpenter via NFBWATLK
Sent: Monday, March 4, 2019 12:40 PM
To: 'NFB of Washington Talk Mailing List' List'
Cc: Marci Carpenter
Subject: [NFBWATLK] HB 1706 floor vote-come to Olympia

Hello Everyone,

It appears that there will be a floor vote in the House of Representatives on HB 1706 this Wednesday, March 6. I think this would be a great opportunity for us to go to Olympia, hear the vote and meet with our state Senators and Reps.

Self advocates from the Arc of King County and others will be going to Olympia that day. They have some space on their free shuttle. Right now there are about 8-9 spots. The shuttle will leave from the Arc of King County, 233 6th Ave N (SW corner of 6th & Thomas), at 8:30 am. That’s when it will pull out so we are supposed to be there by 8:15 am. We will arrive back in Seattle between 3:45 pm and 4:15 pm. Space is available on a first come, first serve basis. If you would like to go call or text me at 206-604-5507 or email at mjc59 at comcast.net <mailto:mjc59 at comcast.net>.

The NFB of Washington can reimburse or pay for train tickets for those from other areas. If you need to have your train ticket purchased in advance you must contact Corey Grandstaff at corey.grandstaff at gmail.com <mailto:corey.grandstaff at gmail.com> by the end of the day today, March 4. You also need to contact me so I can approve the expense.

Things look pretty positive for the bill’s passage in the House but it is important for legislators to hear from us. The Senate bill, SB 5753, is still stuck in committee. We may still be able to move it forward but, if not and if the House passes 1706, that bill will go to the Senate. If you want to make appointments with your Senators you should do so first thing Monday morning. The House will be on the floor (taking votes on bills) all day on Wednesday. The Community Employment Alliance, an advocacy group of people with Intellectual disabilities, will be holding an Advocacy Day all day and will have a rally in the Capitol rotunda from 12 pm-1 pm which we can attend.

Marci Carpenter, President
NFB of Washington