[NFBWATLK] Google tribute to the bumpy sidewalk tile guy

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Thu Mar 21 20:29:46 UTC 2019

Odd what others believe is revolutionary for us.  Until I read this article,
I had no idea that different tactile bump patterns had different meanings.
How is it that my means of getting around has been "revolutionized" without
my even knowing?

Under foot tactile designs are a very limited communications method,
especially if the people who are supposed to benefit don't even know the
meaning of the symbology.  Like all blind people, I notice what's under my
feet and use that data to figure out what's around me.  Information has
value, especially when it's consistent information.  I find artificially
introduced symbols less valuable than naturally occurring info, because the
artificially introduced stuff is inconsistent in design and not always
there.