[NFBWATLK] Exciting News for DBSC!

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Thu May 2 21:35:46 UTC 2019

From: Heather Melendez - DBSC [mailto:AdminAssistant at seattledbsc.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 2:32 PM
To: DBSC Info
Subject: Exciting News for DBSC!

Greetings Everyone,

Angela here with very exciting and surprising news for all of us in the DeafBlind community in Washington State! The Office of Deaf and Hard of Hearing (ODHH) has known that for a long time, DeafBlind people have not been receiving enough Support Service Provider (SSP) hours. DeafBlind individuals have been receiving between 6 to 12 SSP hours per month, however, more SSP time is needed. SSP's support DeafBlind people by assisting them  with daily activities such as; grocery shopping, mail support, banking, and more. I am thrilled to announce that ODHH has decided to increase the funding by giving an additional $200,000 more for the SSP program! Stomp, Wave, Stomp, Wave, to ODHH! This extra funding will help us increase SSP hours.  All DeafBlind people will now receive 20 hours of SSP time! Yes, 20 SSP hours for all DeafBlind people in Washington State. Big smile! DBSC is working on obtaining more trained SSP's.

I want to say many, many thanks to ALL the ODHH staff involved, especially Deborah O'Willow - Director, and Claudia Foy - Program Manager, for recognizing and supporting DeafBlind people's needs. I am grateful for their understanding and assistance with helping DBSC serve the DeafBlind community better. From my heart, thank you!  Thank You!  THANK YOU!

Angela Theriault, MA

Executive Director

Deaf-Blind Service Center (DBSC)

(206) 257-2754