[NFBWATlk] Speaker Pelosi

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Thu Jul 9 18:15:51 UTC 2020

In 1981, when we demonstrated in front of the FAA building in Washington,
DC, about the canes on planes issue, George H. W. Bush spoke to us.  I
remember he talked about the blind mountain climbers who were in the news
back then; he also got the name of the organization wrong, calling us the
National Federation for the Blind.

Even so, having the vice president of the United States speak to us was a
very big deal.  So is having the Speaker of the House speak to us.  I had
never even heard of the NFB when Vice President Humphrey spoke to us in
1965.