[NFBWATlk] dual citizenship

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Thu Oct 15 02:24:29 UTC 2020

It was a virtual ceremony.  I had been looking forward to an in person event.  In person ceremonies are full of speeches and symbolism.  We had a woman who congratulated us and spoke for about three minutes.  Then we repeated the oath over Zoom which sounded really ragged.  The first time we said it in English.  When she began reading us the French oath, Jeff had to leave the room because her accent was so horrible that he couldn't stop laughing!  Later he asked me how it felt to know that my French was best in the room.  Listening to hers, that wasn't much of a compliment!

Once the ceremony was over, we signed the same oath and scanned and emailed it back.  The voter roles will be updated, so I'll be able to vote in my first Canadian provincial election later this month.  Much more civil tone here.  I'm voting for one of Paul's university colleagues, though he has little chance of winning.  No secret ballot here -- yet!  But there will be.

Mary Ellen