[NFBWATlk] Looking for research subjects

Ione Fine ionefine at uw.edu
Fri Feb 5 22:32:34 UTC 2021

Hi All,

My postdoctoral researcher is looking for up to five more participants who became blind early in life and do not have hearing loss to complete a study. We bring the equipment to you, so anyone within about 120 miles of Seattle is eligible.

Dr. Ione Fine at the University of Washington is looking for participants for a study that examines the effects of visual deprivation on the ability to process visual, tactile and auditory stimuli. We are examining how this happens in the brain. If you choose to participate you will be asked to participate in behavioral experiments.

Currently, we are recruiting blind individuals who:
- Became blind before the age of 5
- Have low or no light perception
- Have normal hearing

For behavioral experiments we will ask you to make simple judgments about visual, tactile and/or auditory stimuli. You may be asked to participate in as many as five behavioral sessions (each session lasts up to 1.5 hours, and each session will be carried out on a different day). Participants will be paid $20/hour for behavioral sessions. Due to COVID-19, studies will be completed at your home. We will deliver the equipment and provide instructions over Zoom.

Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Dr. Ione Fine at the phone number or email address below.

Eligibility: To participate you must be 18 years of age or older, should have no history of claustrophobia, and no metal objects in or on the body during the scan.

Contact Information: 858-945-4793

finelab-contactus at uw.edu<mailto:finelab-contactus at uw.edu>

(Please note: the confidentiality of information sent via e-mail cannot be ensured.)