[Nfbwv-talk] Hats off to Ed McDonald

C. Smyth cs.nfbwv at verizon.net
Tue Mar 17 01:11:01 UTC 2009

On behalf of the NFBWV, I would like to give our sincere thanks to First Vice-President Ed McDonald for working with Governor Manchin's office to bring about a ceremony for the signing of a proclamation to declare March 26, 2009 as Braille Readers are Leaders Day.

Please see a piece of correspondence below confirming this.

Charlene Smyth
NFBWV President

Dear Ms. Rayl,
Across the country, communities are declaring March 26, 2009 as Braille
Readers are Leaders Day, and the National Federation of the Blind, the
nation's oldest and largest organization of blind people and the leading
advocate for Braille literacy in the United States, has launched a national
"Braille Readers are Leaders" campaign to promote awareness of the
importance of Braille and to increase the availability of competent Braille
instruction and Braille reading materials in this country.
We in the National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia are honored that
you have arranged for Governor Manchin to sponsor an official proclamation
to recognize March 26, 2009 as "Braille Readers are Leaders Day" in the
state. Braille is recognized as the most important single development in
obtaining a quality education for the blind.  However, today only about 10
percent of blind children are given the opportunity to learn Braille in
school.  This proclamation will emphasize the governor's commitment to this
important cause and recognize the efforts of those individuals who work to
promote literacy and independence for the blind.
As you requested when we spoke by phone, I have attached for your review a
draft of the proclamation. Please feel free to contact me if you would like
more information about blindness or the NFB's efforts in changing what it
means to be blind.
The governor's executive scheduler, Nell Kimble, notified me earlier today
that a proclamation ceremony has been scheduled for 3:15 PM on Thursday,
March 26, in the governor's reception room.  Members of the Kanawha Valley
Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of West Virginia--including
chapter president Sheri Koch--plan to be on hand for the ceremony.  We will
also put forth a significant effort to generate public and media attention
for this event and for the governor's support for our concerns regarding
Braille literacy issues.
Thank you again for your interest and for making sure that the State of West
Virginia is involved in this important national event.
Cordially,
Ed McDonald
First Vice-President
151 S. Mineral Street
Keyser, WV 26726
(304) 788-0129
ed at eioproductions.com
PS: As you will note, I have copied this message to Ms. Kimble as well as to
our state president, Charlene Smyth, and to other members of the Federation
who will likely play a significant role in this event.