[Nfbwv-talk] A Weekend in Baltimore

Bre B jesusfreak262 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 10:15:15 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,
Now that I am caught up on all my school work and only have 19 days
left, lets hear about a weekend in Baltimore.
On April first and second, 14 students from Romney spent time at the NFB
Jernigan Institute learning about what it takes to be a successful blind
person. Kerri Kosten and I went as mentors for the group. It all began
with Dr. Maurer. He always does interesting things, so while taking
role, we told him our favorite food. We learned 5 elements of being
successful blind people, toured the institute, played Minute to Win It,
grilled burgers, and created our own presentations. Treva told me we
were the first ones to play Minute to Win It. I think it was successful,
and extremely fun. There were some interesting challenges. I think
grilling burgers was a great confidence guilder for some, including me.
The elements for success were full of good information, and very
interactive. Everyone showed interest. I heard a lot of positive
feedback from the students. One student in particular told me that the
most important thing she learned was that it is okay to be blind. A few
students are interested in the training centers. Finally, I believe some
learned that things really are possible. Especially when they heard
about the blind driver challenge. Overall this was time well spent for
the school.

I spoke about why I am choosing to go to a training center and about our
student division. I am proud to say we have some that want to join. The
students asked me a lot of questions. I really liked being a mentor, and
I hope I get to do more of it.
Lets keep up the good work West Virginia. We have a lot to look forward too.

Bre

"One smile can create one-hundred smiles."