[Nfbwv-talk] WV PUBLIC RADIO STORY ON SCHOOLS FOR DEAF & BLIND

Marcus Soulsby msoulsby at suddenlink.net
Tue Jan 29 14:34:23 UTC 2013

Here's the thing about it.

Suppose they do move to a more urban area where they could reach more
students.  Assuming they can overcome the "mainstreaming" hurdle of Goals
2000 etc. and that actually did happen, there is still so much more those
kids would miss by not having the residential experience.  In many cases
where skills etc. aren't stressed at home, they would essentially "stop
being deaf/blind at 3:30 every day" in a sense.  They would miss out on
meeting others like themselves and not feeling like such a little fish in a
big pond.

And, if it really comes down to dollars and cents and this is something they
are just looking for a way to do it on the cheap, increased quality of
education is in question because how could adequate resources to do so be
relied upon?

Marcus E. Soulsby
msoulsby at suddenlink.net

Learn more about the National Federation of the Blind at:
http://www.nfb.org/
http://www.nfbwv.org/