[Nfbwv-talk] a question about schools for the blind

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Mon May 4 17:23:54 UTC 2015

Keri,

We did have what was called Arts and Craft classes.  There were two of them.  The one I took and liked is where we learned to make braded rugs, weave baskets, do chair caning, and similar things.  Being blind, you could be more independent in your art/craft when you can feel what you are doing.  I was completely sighted for half of my school life so took art while in public school and this was completely visual.

There was another arts and craft class which I didn't take so I can't tell you about it.  Also, there was woodshop where the students made things like stands, lamps, cedar chests, etc.

We never went to any museums or things like that.

While learning to use computers at Rehab, we went to a tactile art exhibit and I cannot remember who sponsored it or who the artists were.  The main thing I remember was a snake made of the old-fashioned pop bottle tops that you had to pull off with an opener.  They were put together so that the ridges seemed like the snake's skin.  It was very interesting and realistic.  We also got to meet a blind potter, watch her work, and see some of her items.

Looking back, I can see what a good education we received at WVSB and how well rounded it was.  We really were treated like regular students by the teachers and house parents and expected to meet up to our potential academically, socially, and in the dorms.  We had to clean our own rooms, do our own laundry, learn to cook, the guys learned to use tools, (it was still a class mainly for guys then), expected to take classes to go to college, take extracurricular classes such as band, chorus, piano, arts and crafts, physical education, swimming, wrestling, cheerleading, etc.  We also had dances, parties, and proms.  To clarify, I wasn't a cheerleader or a wrestler of course but they were activities available to us and anyone could try out for them.  We also went on trips to amusement parks, went bowling, and other similar things.  We had are disagreements, tears, and fears as well as shared love, laughter, happiness, and many other good things.  I have talked to many people who have been mainstreamed.  While some of them got good educations and had some good friends, there were things they missed out on that they can never go back and get or experience that every child should have.