[Nfbwv-talk] President Riccobono's Notebook for November 16, 2015

Smyth, Charlene R Charlene.R.Smyth at wv.gov
Tue Nov 17 19:33:17 UTC 2015

November 16, 2015
President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

At 4:00 p.m. on November 16, 1940, in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, a meeting began that would constitute the first meeting of the National Federation of the Blind. This weekend, I had the pleasure of attending the NFB of Pennsylvania convention held at the very hotel--with some recent modifications-in which our first meeting took place. It struck me that the spirit of the Federation and its ultimate purpose has not changed in seventy-five years. Our organization has achieved many things that would have been very difficult to imagine even for the keenest of minds at the 1940 meeting.

During the convention, we had the opportunity to hear from Jacobus "Dutch" tenBroek (the oldest of Dr. tenBroek's three children). He shared many memories which gave me a special insight to our founding President. I also enjoyed talking with Dutch about the ways his own participation in the organization, as a son of a Federationist, has influenced his own life. This gave me a glimpse at what I hope will be the experience my own children will have within the organization.

Dutch tenBroek shared one thing that particularly resonated with me this weekend. He noted that his father would often say to him, "It does not matter what you decide to do but rather that you are the best at whatever you decide to do." Therefore, on this very special day where we celebrate our history and prepare for the future ahead, I leave you with one thought that is supported by the faith we have in one another--a faith that Dr. tenBroek described as being able to move mountains and mount movements. That thought is that the details of what we will do in the future do not matter as much as the fact that we will aim to be the best at everything we choose to do. With the faith we have in one another and the worthy purposes we pursue, I am certain that seventy-five years from now members of the National Federation of the Blind will celebrate all that we have accomplished together with love, hope, and determination.

News:
Santa Letters:
Between November 16 and December 18, parents of very young children, under the age of ten, can visit www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org/> and fill out a Santa Braille Letter request form<https://nfb.org/santa-letters>. The form can also be printed and faxed to (410) 685-2340. Beginning November 30, the Braille letters from Santa will start going out to blind boys and girls across the country. The Braille letter will also be accompanied by a print copy (for mom and dad to read), as well as some other fun Christmastime activities. Requests for letters must include the writer's name, the child's name, birthday, gender, mailing address, a telephone number, and email address in case Santa's helpers at the National Federation of the Blind have questions. The deadline for letter requests is December 18, to ensure that a return letter in Braille is received before Christmas.

Online Exhibit of NFB Archival Material:
The tenBroek Library has teamed up with Digital Maryland, the state processor for the Digital Public Library of America, to produce an online exhibit of archival documents which deal specifically with the founding of the NFB in 1940. This small collection of digitized documents includes correspondence between Drs. tenBroek and Perry, the founding meeting minutes, Dr. tenBroek's speech to those present, and other related correspondence. All image scans will be accompanied by text transcriptions.

Presidential Release:
The Presidential Release is available for download from our website at https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/pr/pr444.mp3.

Presidential Release on NFB-NEWSLINE(r) National Channel:
NFB-NEWSLINE(r) now has the NFB Presidential Release on the NFB National Channel. To read the Presidential Release using the telephone access method, press "1" from the Main Menu for "National Channels and NFB-NEWSLINE Information, then press "1" for NFB National Channel, and then choose option "4" for the Presidential Release.

Video:
The latest video, "I'm Blind, but I'm Not..." can be found at https://youtu.be/I4QyuWWjm2E.

Did you know?
Amazon Smile:
Help increase donations to the National Federation of the Blind this shopping season by signing up on Smile.Amazon.com<http://smile.amazon.com/> and identifying the National Federation of the Blind as the charity you would like to receive the donation. We will receive 5 percent of every purchase made at Smile.Amazon.com<http://smile.amazon.com/>. More information can be found at About AmazonSmile<https://smile.amazon.com/about/?ref=spkl_2_2_1960962002&ie=UTF8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=1FGHB6NTYVVSQQDYX08G&pf_rd_p=1960962002&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=amazon%20smile%20program&qid=1418243450>.

For an Amazon customer to identify a charity:

1. Go to Smile.Amazon.com<http://smile.amazon.com/>.

2. Type in National Federation of the Blind, Inc.

3. Find your charity's name in the list and click select button.

The National Federation of the Blind, Inc. is the first charity listed when searching using this name; if you search using National Federation of the Blind we are the forth charity in the list since many of the state affiliates have registered and are in the list under National Federation of the Blind.

In order for us to get a percentage, you need to be logged into and shop at Smile.Amazon.com<http://smile.amazon.com/>. If you shop at amazon.com<http://amazon.com/> (instead of Smile.Amazon.com<http://smile.amazon.com/>), no donation is made. Products, reviews, and prices are the same between Amazon.com<http://amazon.com/> and Smile.Amazon.com<http://smile.amazon.com/> for those products sold through both sites; sometimes Smile.Amazon.com<http://smile.amazon.com/> will not have a produce your will find on Amazon.com<http://amazon.com/>.

Dates to keep in mind:

*         Fall conventions<https://nfb.org/state-conventions>

*         December 10-13, 2015: BELL Seminar

*         March 3-5, 2016: NFB STEM2U San Francisco

*         March 31, 2016: NFB Scholarship Program application deadline, https://nfb.org/scholarships

*         April 15, 2016: Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award Program nomination deadline, https://nfb.org/bolotin-award-main

*         May 17-20, 2016: BLAST, Chicago

*         May 19-21, 2016: NFB STEM2U Minneapolis

*         June 19-25, 2016: NFB EQ (first iteration)

*         June 30-July 5: National Federation of the Blind Convention, Rosen Shingle Creek, Orlando, Florida

*         July 31-August 6, 2016 (second iteration)

*         August 18-25: WBU and ICEVI General Assembly, Rosen Centre, Orlando, Florida

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230